Surfside is a charming 3-level villa offering attractive Mediterranean design features such as beautiful stone walls, antique brick patios and a French terra cotta tiled roof. It is built on a sloping hillside and uses three floors to create an atmosphere of privacy and comfort for up to six persons. The living, dining and kitchen areas, plus a south facing sun deck and an en suite bedroom and bath are located on the main (entrance) level. Interior stairs lead to the second bedroom and bath on the upper level. Exterior stairs lead down to the pool, sun deck and hot tub, plus the third bedroom and bath is on this lower level.
- Bedrooms: 3
- Beds: 3
- Bed Description: 2 Kings, 1 Queen
- Bathrooms: 3
- Property Location: Reef Bay
- Proximity: Waterfront
- Property Size: 2600 sq ft
- Year Property Complete: 2002
- Beach: Reef Bay
- Pool: Yes
- Pool Dimensions: 21 x 12 x 4 - 5ft deep
- Hot Tub: Yes
- Air Conditioning: Yes, bedrooms only
- Children: Welcome
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: Yes
- Damage Deposit: $500
- Distance To Town: It's a 15-18 minute drive to the shops, restaurants and grocery stores in Cruz Bay.
- Living And Dining: The cathedral ceilings, rose tiled floors and rattan furniture create a tropical atmosphere in the intimate living area. A stereo/cassette/CD player, cable color HDTV, VCR and a DVD player supply the electronic entertainment. Surfside offers two dining locations, both with romantic ocean views. The interior teak dining table seats 6 comfortably, as does the beautiful, outdoor teak dining table located on the oceanfront deck.
- Kitchen: The cook's kitchen features brand new marble countertops, a farm sink and professional stainless steel appliances, including a four burner dual-fuel stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave and all cooking and dining accessories. A gas barbeque is located on the patio and the washer and dryer are located on the lower level.
- Bedroom Details: All three bedrooms are similar in size and furnishings and all offer good privacy, air conditioning and great ocean views. The bedroom on the main level (queen bed) has French doors that open to a small deck. The upper bedroom (king) also has a small deck with lovely views. The lower level bedroom (king bed) is off the pool deck. Each bedroom has an attractive adjoining tiled bath and shower.
Surfside enjoys a pristine location on the very edge of the undeveloped National Park lands at Reef Bay. The tranquilizing and unspoiled views from Surfside include the turquoise seas and the jade green forests of the south shore National Park. It’s an easy walk on a private path to the often-deserted white sand beach that offers snorkeling, swimming and beach combing. There are only 5 homes on this hard-to-find road to the beach, and this contributes to a very peaceful and quiet location that is blessed with great natural beauty. Despite its end of the world feel, Surfside is only a four mile drive from the restaurants and nightlife of Cruz Bay. Reef Bay remains a wonderful and still secret location that tourists rarely discover.
Vehicle Information A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Pool Floats: Pool floats are not guaranteed with your villa rental. If you want access to them, please bring them with you.
After making your villa/condo booking with us, you have 7 days to send us your rental deposit and guest contract. Payment is by check, personal check is fine. Your sending us payment on your villa rental becomes a binding agreement; it constitutes your acceptance and agreement to these terms, conditions, limitations and restrictions as mentioned in our Payment and Cancellation Polices section on this page. If you have any problems or questions with any of this information, please be sure to call us for discussion and explanation before you send us your villa rental deposit monies and contract.
PAYMENTS: Caribbean Villas requires 50% down within 7 days of making your reservation by check only. Failure to make this payment subjects your reservation to automatic cancellation. The balance of your reservation including the tax/service charge and security deposit where applicable; is due 60 days prior to arrival. If traveling during the Christmas/New Years time period, the balance including the tax/service charge is due 120 days prior to arrival. Rates are based on Cash Prices – Payment is by check. To pay with a visa/mastercard there is a 3% service fee. Please make the checks payable to Caribbean Villas and mail them to 89 Mussey Rd., Suite 103, Scarborough, ME 04074.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Once Caribbean Villas has received your deposit all payments are non-refundable/non-changeable. If you cancel/change your reservation, and we are able to rebook your entire set of travel dates, your money will be refunded, less a 20% administration fee of the total room charge. If a replacement rental is not obtained for your entire set of travel dates, there will be no refund. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Caribbean Villas highly recommends trip cancellation insurance.
HURRICANE AND/OR STORM POLICY: There will be no refunds given for acts of God or force majeure, such as hurricanes, tropical storms etc on St John, USVI. This policy applies to current and all future guests who have reservations to travel or are on St John. We highly recommend trip cancellation insurance. If insurance is not purchased and St John is impacted by an act of god or force majeure we will hold your money on account for a future stay. There will be no exceptions to this policy.
TRIP CANCELLATION INSURANCE: Consumer Advocates – Trip Cancellation Insurance. Please verify all terms and conditions of coverage with the trip cancellation insurance company. It is the guests responsibility to cover themselves in the event they need to cancel or change their vacation plans.
Please note: If we do not have your arrival information 60 days prior to your check-in, there will be a $50 charge applied to your security deposit.
PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS: If you are a U.S. Citizen traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) you will need Proof of Citizenship; this is a Photo ID and a birth certificate with a raised seal (photo copies are not allowed). *For further information: http://www.travel.state.gov * Please note: If you are traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) and are planning to do any day trips/day sails to the British Virgin Island or any other Caribbean country you will need a valid U.S. Passport
MAID SERVICE: Our homes/condos do not include maid service. Maid Service may be arranged at an additional cost. Towels, linens, beach towels and paper products are provided for your entire stay. Any additional supplies will need to be purchased by the guest.
HOTEL TAX/SERVICE CHARGE: If traveling to St. John, a 12.5% hotel tax and 5% service charge will be added to your reservation. (When the hotel tax changes all reservations are subject to the tax increase.)
DAMAGE DEPOSITS (Security Deposit): Our Villas and Condos for the island of St. John all require a damage deposit. The deposit is $500-$1500 depending on the property reserved. In most cases this deposit may be applied to a Visa or MasterCard. Our consultants will advise you at the time of booking which policy applies to your rental home. The security deposits are fully refundable within 60 days of your departure, provided there is no breakage, damage, missing items, no charges incurred before, during or after your stay, still outstanding. All normal utilities (except long-distance phone calls or careless or extremely excessive use of your villa’s water supply) are included in your rental price. You hereby agree to pay Caribbean Villas on behalf of the owner of your villa the cleaning or replacement costs for all damages to personal property or to the real estate, which may occur as a result of your occupancy, excluding normal wear and tear. Locked pantries and closets are reserved for the use of the villa owner and are not included in this rental. You as a Guest agree to take all reasonable steps to ensure that your family and other guests in your party adhere to the rules and regulations affecting your villa. All villas are privately owned, so decor, colors and inventories will of course vary. All villas are fully furnished, including an ample supply of bed linens and towels for Guests’ use. Rearranging of furniture or removing any items from the villa is prohibited.
LIABILITY: Caribbean Villas, is acting hereunder as an agent for accommodations, and assumes no liability for property loss or damages, nor liability for injury, accident, delay, or irregularity which may be occasioned either by reason of defect in any vehicle or the acts of any company or persons engaged in conveying passengers to or from their villa. Transportation (airlines, ferries, charter vessels, rental cars and taxis) is supplied by providers who operate independently of Caribbean Villas. We assume no responsibility, therefore, for any loss, injury, or damage to person or property because of the acts of those providers. Furthermore, guests are responsible for their villa during occupancy, and must lock villa windows and doors securely at all times when not on the premises, and must exercise care in securing all personal property. Guests must observe all cautions as given in our blue guest book and/or by your local contact. All Caribbean Villa’s properties are privately owned. The Owner and Caribbean Villas reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at their complete discretion. Any and all disputes will be subject to jurisdiction only in the USVI.
COMPLAINTS AND MAINTENANCE: Caribbean Villas shall make every effort to keep all villas and their inventories in good working order. In case of a maintenance problem, they will strive to repair the problem as soon as possible after being notified. However, no refund or rate adjustment shall be made for unforseen failures such as the supply of electricity, water, pool filtration systems, air conditioning, television/cable service, internet access, appliances, etc. Due to wild fluctuations in our island electrical service and the lack of trained technicians here, we cannot guarantee that hot tubs at villas will operate correctly at all times, and no rebates will be given due to hot tub malfunctions. It is the Guest’s obligation to report any problem or damage IMMEDIATELY to us, regardless of the hour. No refunds will be considered unless problems are reported and reviewed by our staff during your stay on island.
CONSTRUCTION NOISE: Due to the amount of new villa construction on St. John, it is a possibility that construction may occur near your villa rental. Any construction and the possibility of new construction is outside the control of Caribbean Villas.
ENTRY INTO VILLA: Caribbean Villas or its staff may enter your villa to perform any repairs as necessary. If your villa is on the market for sale, we reserve the right to allow the villa to be shown, but only by advance appointment made with Guest. We will make every effort to schedule such brief showings at a time convenient to you, to respect your privacy, and not interrupt your vacation.
SUBSTITUTION: Caribbean Villas reserves the right to substitute comparable or better accommodations without liability, should the villa reserved be sold, out of order, double booked or be deemed substandard by us for any reason. If comparable accommodations are not available, Guest may receive a complete refund of all pro- rated rent and Hotel Tax/Service Charge paid for the original villa.
CAPACITY OF VILLAS: The total number of persons allowed in the villa at any one time is restricted to the number of persons scheduled and paid for (based on two persons per bedroom). Should a group misrepresent themselves, they will not be allowed entry into the villa. Exceptions to this term are made only by management, prior to your arrival dates and for infants under 2 yrs old; if sleeping in a baby crib and not occupying one of the villa’s beds.
QUIET ENJOYMENT AND PARTIES: Caribbean Villas wishes to maintain a family atmosphere for the quiet enjoyment of Guests. We rent to family groups and responsible adults only; absolutely NO house parties or functions such as weddings are allowed at the villas. Guests shall be sufficiently quiet and peaceful, so as not to disturb other residents of the neighborhood.
RATES AND PRINTING ERRORS: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
CHECK IN TIME: St. John – 3:00 p.m. and forward. CHECK-OUT TIME: 10:00 a.m. sharp. PETS: No pets of any kind are allowed in or on the villa premises. A pet or evidence of a pet found on the villa premises will cause immediate eviction and forfeiture of Guest’s entire rent and deposit.
ARRIVALS: For St. John there is one complimentary arrival that brings the arriving guests to the vehicle rental to pick up their reserved vehicle and then escorts the party to their villa. For 8pm -12 midnight arrivals there is a $50 check-in fee. You may schedule additional arrivals as needed for $75 per arrival. Please note: If we do not have your arrival information 60 days prior to your check-in, there will be a $50 charge applied to your security deposit.
CABLE TELEVISION: For St. John, most of the homes have expanded cable, with a few exceptions. Occasionally there is a problem with the cable television service. Caribbean Villas does not have any control over the cable service and repairs are currently taking between 8-14 days to complete.
PHONE SERVICE: ALL LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALLS ARE RESTRICED. We ask all guests to use a calling card to make long distance phone calls.Local calls are free. Occasionally there is a problem with the telephone lines for the villa and condo rentals. Caribbean Villas does not have any control over the telephone company and repairs are currently taking up to 30 days to complete. Rapture and Kalorama only have cell phone service.
CELL PHONE USAGE ALONG THE NORTH SHORE: If you use your cell phone on the north side of the island there is a good chance you will pick up the cell tower on Tortola (British Virgin Islands). If this happens you will be charged for an international call on your cell phone plan. DRUGS AND
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS: Guests and members of his party shall not use or permit to be brought into any villa and illegal substances, inflammable fluids (e.g., gasoline, kerosene, naphtha or benzene), or other explosives or articles deemed hazardous to life, limb or property.
VILLA, SAFE AND GATE KEYS: Caribbean Villas shall charge Guests $175 for each set of lost or mishandled keys; gate remote controls will be charged at replacement cost. Guest is required to follow all instructions precisely on where to leave your villa keys and gate remote controls when you depart–call if you are unsure!
CONSERVING ELECTRICITY: Due to the cost of electricity doubling, the air-conditioning in our villas/condos will not be turned on when you are checked into your property. At check-in, our staff will be happy to show you how to turn the systems on and off, should you decide to use the air-conditioning. We are requesting that you turn the air-conditioning off in all rooms when not at the villa. It does not take long to cool a room down when you return to the villa. We understand this is your vacation and we want it to be enjoyable and relaxing. Anything you are willing to do will be appreciated in conserving your electrical usage.
SMOKING: All Villas are non-smoking. Guests may be fined up to $150 for smoking violations. GARBAGE REMOVAL: Guests are responsible for removal of all trash from their villa. A $75 fee will be applied to guest’s security deposit if rental agent is required to remove trash left behind. There are numerous dumpsters throughout the island for your use.
CABLE/INTERNET/TELEPHONE/ELECTRICITY: In the Virgin Islands these services may be interrupted. If an interruption occurs the rental manager will report the problem but we have no control over service repairs. There will be no rental refunds due to the interruption of these services. Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- In Season Prices
Dec. 15, 2018 – April 12, 2019
$3955/wk for 2 people * $4130/wk for 3 $4305/wk for 4 * $4480/wk for 5 * $4655/wk for 6
- Off Season Pricing
April 13, 2019 – Dec. 20, 2019
$2310/wk for 2 people * $2485/wk for 3 * $2660/wk for 4 * $2835/wk for 5 * $3010/wk for 6
- Holiday Rates (Flat Rate)
Off Season Rates Apply
(Dec 21, 2019 – Jan. 3, 2020)
$5600/wk 2-6 people
- 12.5% Hotel tax/5% Service Charge
- Damage Deposit
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
Surfside enjoys a quiet and scenic location in the Reef Bay area, where it is one of the closest villas to the beach. A 3 - 5 minute walk on a nature path leads you to one of St. John's most secluded National Park beaches. If you hike along the beach to the head of the harbor you can connect with the Reef Bay Trail and other National Park maintained hiking trails. The owner of Surfside is continually upgrading the property to ensure that guests enjoy the perfect Caribbean experience, and recent improvements include a new cook’s kitchen, new bath fixtures and an oceanfront deck off the living room. Other notable features include:
- A 14' x 20' pool and a romantic hot tub,
- A/C in all three bedrooms,
- A peaceful setting on a dead end road along the southern edge of the National Park,
- Refreshing ocean breezes, all day sun, and the soothing background music of waves breaking on the beach
With its romantic location Surfside is a charming hideaway for honeymooners and lovers. This is also an excellent villa for families with beach loving kids, and for nature lovers.
- Guest Comments:
- What a treat! The views are stunning from all 3 porches. The seclusion and privacy of the pool and hot tub were so romantic. The hike to the beach was beautiful and we were often the only ones out there. The outside spaces of the property make this house so special. We stayed in the upstairs bedroom for the best view out to the ocean. This home is well suited for up to 6 people. It was also stocked with games, novels, bird books, binoculars, ice chest, beach chairs and towels, plenty of kitchen gadgets and dishes, nice bath towels, washer and dryer, pool floats. The sounds of the ocean and birds were so relaxing to listen to at night. We were fortunate to be there at full moon and the reflections on the water at night were beautiful. The pool got full sun most of the day so was a nice temperature for swimming into the evening. We enjoyed having a separate table on the lower level in the shade for when the sun was out. My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here but I hope to come back and bring my college age kids soon.
- The most relaxing spot on earth! Surfside is private, spacious, comfortable and fully equipped -- just pack your bathing suit and a towel and let the ocean breezes and the sun work their magic. We enjoyed the fabulous views of Reef Bay, the amazing night skys, the gorgeous beach, poolside visits by iguanas and bananaquits and long, lazy days exploring St. John. This is a great place to refresh and renew your spirit.
- Absolute best vacation ever. The house is in a quiet, secluded area with a great view of the ocean. The facilities are well-maintained and had everything we needed for our one week stay. The photos do not actually show how nice the home really is. The drive to and from town was easy once we did it a couple of times. The restaurants and shops in Cruz Bay were fun, but we would have been just as happy to have stocked up at the grocery store and cooked at the house every night. The beach below the house is great for exploring. The pool has a great view of the ocean, as do most of the rooms in the house. We really enjoyed our time here and would not hesitate to recommend this house to anyone.
- We had a wonderful trip to st John and look forward to returning next year. The view and accomodations were outstanding. Thank you!
- We had a great time and Surfside was the perfect house for us! We loved the location and the villa itself. Thank you!
- Surfside was great! We loved being so close to the Reef Bay trail. Thank you!
- Thank you so much!!! Our trip was amazing and if/when we come back we will certainly use you to rent a house. Everything went perfectly and (although I forgot his name) our greeter was very helpful and informative with everything we needed. Thanks again.