Rara Avis consists of three distinct buildings – a 2-level stone great house, plus a master bedroom cabana on the left (east) and another on the right (west) side of the great house. You park above the great house and descend a stone stairway into a sheltered garden courtyard on the leeward side of the great house. The upper level of the great house contains the great room with the living, dining and kitchen areas, plus a half bath, and a laundry room. In the great room you’ll find native stonework, exposed beam cathedral ceilings, terra cotta tiled floors, bamboo furniture, and native artwork. On the south side of the great house is a 450 sq/ft tiled sun deck where the views are magnificent. Two sets of exterior stairs lead down to the two bedrooms, shared bath and deck on the lower level of the great house. The pool and its sun deck are in a garden setting in front of the west cabana. In addition to the pool’s sun deck there are four other private sun decks including two off the great house, and one off each cabana. The three buildings and the pool are connected by courtyards, gardens and walkways.
- Bedrooms: 4
- Beds: 6
- Bed Description: 2 Queens, 2 Twins convert to Kings
- Bathrooms: 3.5
- Property Location: Hart Bay
- Proximity: Beachfront
- Property Size: 2800+ sq ft
- Year Property Complete: 1997- remodel
- Beach: Hart Bay Below You
- Pool: Yes
- Pool Dimensions: Half moon shape
- Hot Tub: No
- Air Conditioning: No, A/C
- Children: Welcome
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: Yes
- Damage Deposit: $500
- Distance To Town: 2 miles; Restaurants/nightlife: 1-2 miles; National Park beaches: 2-3 miles; Groceries: 1 mile
- Living Dining: The living and dining rooms have been artistically finished to look like the interior of a centuries old Spanish or Italian villa. They are furnished with a combination of antiques and designer furniture that blends comfort with function. From either room screened sliding glass doors open to warm breezes, a spacious deck and sweeping views of the south shore National Park. A cable 32" flat screen TV/DVD, an AM/FM stereo//CD with iPod connection and wireless internet are provided. Dine inside at the stately mahogany table seating 6 - 8, or outside on the sheltered garden patio.
- Kitchen: The complete kitchen includes a 4 burner stove and oven, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, microwave, blender, coffee maker, toaster and a fine selection of dinnerware, cookware, and server ware. There is a gas barbeque grill in the courtyard
- Bedroom Details: The two bedrooms cabanas (queen beds) are spacious (370 sq/ft) and each offers excellent privacy, lovely views and an intimate setting. Each cabana includes a tiled bath and a private deck or patio that is perfect for morning coffee and other quiet moments. The two guest bedrooms (twins that convert to a king) are located on the lower level of the great house and also offer romantic ocean views. The lower level guest bedrooms share a bath, and a 1/2 bath is located off the kitchen in the great house.
Rara Avis is located on an oversized lot in the southwest corner of Hart Bay, which is 1/4 mile east of Great Cruz Bay, on the south coast of St. John. The setting gives this villa an excellent degree of privacy and tranquility. Rara is the last villa on a private drive so there is no vehicle traffic or noise; the only sound you’ll hear in this villa is the music of small waves breaking on the beach below you and the music on your iPod. It is blessedly peaceful and quiet, yet only minutes from Cruz Bay. Rara is truly a place where you are indulged with the basic elements of Caribbean life – sun, sea, moonlit sky, lush vegetation and the trade winds. The house faces southeast and the sun shines on your decks from early morning to late in the afternoon. The beautiful 180 degree view sweeps from north to south and takes in most of the south coast of St John, much of which is unspoiled National Park. A short walk down a private path leads to Hart Bay Beach. This is a nice beach to walk along, or if you prefer a great area to kick back and read a good book. It’s about a 2 mile drive into the restaurants, shopping and nightlife in Cruz Bay, and about a mile to the restaurants and spa at the Westin Resort.
Vehicle Information A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Pool Floats: Pool floats are not guaranteed with your villa rental. If you want access to them, please bring them with you.
- In Season Prices
Dec. 16, 2017 – April 13, 2018
$3950/wk for 2-4 people * $4195/wk for 5 * $4440/wk for 6 * $4685/wk for 7 * $4930/wk for 8
Christmas/ New Years (Dec 16 to Jan 6)
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Off Season Pricing
April 15, 2017 – Dec. 15, 2017
$1925/wk for 2-4 people * $2170/wk for 5 * $2415/wk for 6 * $2660/wk for 7 * $2905/wk for 8
Thanksgiving- Off Season Rates Apply
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Hotel Tax/Service Charge
12.5% Hotel tax/5% Service Charge
- Damage Deposit
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
In the mid 1990s the original great house of Rara was demolished and a new stone house was built and completed in 1997. A skilled artisan was imported to St. John to give the house the aged look of a centuries old villa in Tuscany. It's an alluring concept – a European style villa on a beautiful waterfront site on St. John – and it certainly works well for Rara. At night, with the great house doors open and the soft glow of the valence lighting, you could well imagine yourself on the coast of Italy or Spain. In 1991 we wrote that Rara Avis is "located in an unusually quiet and private seaside setting where shimmering moonlight, warm trade winds, mesmerizing views and the background sounds of breaking surf weave a totally relaxing almost magical atmosphere." What was true in 1991 is just as true in 2015; the passage of time has not spoiled either the setting or the villa. Rara is proof of the maxim that great real estate is defined by "location, location, location." If you love the concept of being immersed in sun, sea, sky, flora and peace and quiet, then this is your place in the sun. This setting will massage you and relax you to such an extent that you may never want to go home. Located below Le Lapin and Dolphin Run, Rara is strongly recommended for honeymooners and other lovers (this is a very romantic villa), multiple couples, and families with beach kids.
* Rara Avis has a resident outdoor cat that visits the property
- Guest Comments:
- Awesome..just awesome!! Thank you - we will be returning to Rara Avis!
- We had a wonderful time! The house was perfect for our family! Loved the views and breezes over Hart Bay!
- Everything was perfect, thank you so much! Though Rara Avis may not be the newest property, we found that it had an intimacy with the water and an openness to the sky and sun that gave us much peace and relaxation. We all loved it!
- Thank you for all of your assistance with our rental of Rara Avis. The home was great and we were pleasantly surprised that Rara had done some painting, new bedding etc. This was our 14 trip to St John and rental with you and Rara Avis is clearly one of the best locations on the island.
- We had a great time and enjoyed our second stint in Rara Avis. All things being equal, we plan to reserve a week in late April '13 for another stay on Hart Bay.
- Just a quick comment to let you know that we had a most amazing time in St. John this last week! We were there for my daughter’s wedding and it was just spectacular! The Villa served us well to keep us calm and serene during this hectic time. We would highly recommend this Villa to anyone looking for a peaceful, soothing and comfortable Villa with privacy and views to die for! Everyone there in St. John was most helpful and accommodating. Thank you for your time and effort; you are a very professional group and the transaction was smooth and as expected!