- Caribbean Villas Comments:
In the mid 1990s the original great house of Rara was demolished and a new stone house was built and completed in 1997. A skilled artisan was imported to St. John to give the house the aged look of a centuries old villa in Tuscany. It's an alluring concept – a European style villa on a beautiful waterfront site on St. John – and it certainly works well for Rara. At night, with the great house doors open and the soft glow of the valence lighting, you could well imagine yourself on the coast of Italy or Spain. In 1991 we wrote that Rara Avis is "located in an unusually quiet and private seaside setting where shimmering moonlight, warm trade winds, mesmerizing views and the background sounds of breaking surf weave a totally relaxing almost magical atmosphere." What was true in 1991 is just as true in 2015; the passage of time has not spoiled either the setting or the villa. Rara is proof of the maxim that great real estate is defined by "location, location, location." If you love the concept of being immersed in sun, sea, sky, flora and peace and quiet, then this is your place in the sun. This setting will massage you and relax you to such an extent that you may never want to go home. Located below Le Lapin and Dolphin Run, Rara is strongly recommended for honeymooners and other lovers (this is a very romantic villa), multiple couples, and families with beach kids.
* Rara Avis has a resident outdoor cat that visits the property
- Guest Comments:
- July 2, 2019 Thank you for everything! We have absolutely LOVED our stay at Rara Avis!! What a beautiful home and location!
- Awesome..just awesome!! Thank you - we will be returning to Rara Avis!
- We had a wonderful time! The house was perfect for our family! Loved the views and breezes over Hart Bay!
- Everything was perfect, thank you so much! Though Rara Avis may not be the newest property, we found that it had an intimacy with the water and an openness to the sky and sun that gave us much peace and relaxation. We all loved it!
- Thank you for all of your assistance with our rental of Rara Avis. The home was great and we were pleasantly surprised that Rara had done some painting, new bedding etc. This was our 14 trip to St John and rental with you and Rara Avis is clearly one of the best locations on the island.
- We had a great time and enjoyed our second stint in Rara Avis. All things being equal, we plan to reserve a week in late April '13 for another stay on Hart Bay.
- Just a quick comment to let you know that we had a most amazing time in St. John this last week! We were there for my daughter’s wedding and it was just spectacular! The Villa served us well to keep us calm and serene during this hectic time. We would highly recommend this Villa to anyone looking for a peaceful, soothing and comfortable Villa with privacy and views to die for! Everyone there in St. John was most helpful and accommodating. Thank you for your time and effort; you are a very professional group and the transaction was smooth and as expected!