Over the Rainbow is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa consists of three connected buildings – a great room, master bedroom and guest bedroom – all of which are built in a semi circle around a terra cotta tiled garden courtyard that is ringed by native stone walls. You park below the villa and ascend a stone stairway up to the courtyard, where you enter the great room or either bedroom. The great room features 16′ x 8′ screened glass doors that open to an east facing lovely view and an intimate pool and sundeck. The pool is surrounded by tiled and wooden decks and a gazebo off the pool offers a shaded place to contemplate the peacefulness and beauty of this divine setting. A smaller deck off the master bedroom offers a view to the west over Fish Bay.
- Bedrooms: 2
- Beds: 2
- Bed Description: 2 Kings
- Bathrooms: 2
- Property Location: Reef Bay
- Proximity: Ocean View
- Property Size: 1800+ sq.ft.
- Year Property Complete: 1986
- Beach: Reef Bay
- Pool: Yes
- Pool Dimensions: approx. 16 x 10
- Hot Tub: No
- Air Conditioning: Yes, Bedrooms only
- Children: Welcome
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: Yes
- Damage Deposit: $500
- Distance To Town: 4 miles to Cruz Bay; 10-15 minute hike to Reef Bay beach.
- Living Dining: Large screened glass doors on the east and west sides of the great house open to create a relaxing indoor-outdoor living area with romantic views and constant cooling breezes off Reef Bay. Terra cotta tiled floors, exposed beams and the pastel colors create a soothing interior while a rattan couch, loveseat and chair set insure comfortable seating. A 40" flat screen TV and DVD and a 2 speaker CD player/stereo/Ipod dock and wireless internet provide the electronic entertainment. Dine inside at the glass and wicker table and chair set that seats 4, outside on the courtyard table also seating 4, or on the pool deck or under the gazebo also at a table seating four.
- Kitchen: The kitchen includes a 4-burner stove with oven, refrigerator-freezer, microwave, dishwasher, blender, coffeemaker, telephone and a suitable assortment of cookware and dinnerware. A washer/dryer and a BBQ grill are also included.
- Bedroom Details: The Fish Bay Bedroom Suite (master bedroom w/king) and the Reef Bay Bedroom Suite (guest bedroom w/king) both have a private tiled bath. The master bathroom has screened walls that create a charming shower and bath area. The master bedroom also has its own private deck and deck furniture providing a cozy spot to watch the sunset. Both bedrooms have Ipod docks.
Over the Rainbow is located on the border of the National Park in Reef Bay, in an exceptionally peaceful and unspoiled setting that is as private today (2015) as it was in 1991. This villa is blessed with magnificent 260 degree views, including the “Big Sur” like shoreline of the National Park, miles of blue Caribbean Sea, lovely sunrises over Reef Bay and the glow of sunsets behind Fish Bay. Reef Bay Beach is a usually deserted white sand beach that is a 10-15 minute hike from your villa. Reef Bay is St. John’s most “undiscovered” and virgin National Park beach where sea turtles still lay their eggs and romantic beach walks are very private affairs. A one mile hike along the shore brings you to a second beach at the head of Reef Bay while other trails take you on more challenging hikes through the National Park to Lameshur Bay, Bordeaux Mountain or Rams Head. It’s a four mile drive into Cruz Bay, all of which is on what passes on St. John for a paved road, but Reef Bay is well off the beaten path, so few tourists ever explore this beautiful and relatively unknown area of St John.
Vehicle Information A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Pool Floats: Pool floats are not guaranteed with your villa rental. If you want access to them, please bring them with you.
After making your villa/condo booking with us, you have 7 days to send us your rental deposit and guest contract. Payment is by check, personal check is fine. Your sending us payment on your villa rental becomes a binding agreement; it constitutes your acceptance and agreement to these terms, conditions, limitations and restrictions as mentioned in our Payment and Cancellation Polices section on this page. If you have any problems or questions with any of this information, please be sure to call us for discussion and explanation before you send us your villa rental deposit monies and contract.
PAYMENTS: Caribbean Villas requires 50% down within 7 days of making your reservation by check only. Failure to make this payment subjects your reservation to automatic cancellation. The balance of your reservation including the tax/service charge and security deposit where applicable; is due 60 days prior to arrival. If traveling during the Christmas/New Years time period, the balance including the tax/service charge is due 120 days prior to arrival. Rates are based on Cash Prices – Payment is by check. To pay with a visa/mastercard there is a 3% service fee. Please make the checks payable to Caribbean Villas and mail them to 89 Mussey Rd., Suite 103, Scarborough, ME 04074.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Once Caribbean Villas has received your deposit all payments are non-refundable/non-changeable. If you cancel/change your reservation, and we are able to rebook your entire set of travel dates, your money will be refunded, less a 20% administration fee of the total room charge. If a replacement rental is not obtained for your entire set of travel dates, there will be no refund. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Caribbean Villas highly recommends trip cancellation insurance.
HURRICANE AND/OR STORM POLICY: There will be no refunds given for acts of God or force majeure, such as hurricanes, tropical storms etc on St John, USVI. This policy applies to current and all future guests who have reservations to travel or are on St John. We highly recommend trip cancellation insurance. If insurance is not purchased and St John is impacted by an act of god or force majeure we will hold your money on account for a future stay. There will be no exceptions to this policy.
TRIP CANCELLATION INSURANCE: If you do not have a source, Caribbean Villas highly recommends CSA Travel Protection. It is the guests responsibility to cover themselves in the event they need to cancel or change their vacation plans.
Please note: If we do not have your arrival information 60 days prior to your check-in, there will be a $50 charge applied to your security deposit.
PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS: If you are a U.S. Citizen traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) you will need Proof of Citizenship; this is a Photo ID and a birth certificate with a raised seal (photo copies are not allowed). *For further information: http://www.travel.state.gov * Please note: If you are traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) and are planning to do any day trips/day sails to the British Virgin Island or any other Caribbean country you will need a valid U.S. Passport
MAID SERVICE: Our homes/condos do not include maid service. Maid Service may be arranged at an additional cost. Towels, linens, beach towels and paper products are provided for your entire stay. Any additional supplies will need to be purchased by the guest.
HOTEL TAX/SERVICE CHARGE: If traveling to St. John, a 12.5% hotel tax and 5% service charge will be added to your reservation. (When the hotel tax changes all reservations are subject to the tax increase.)
DAMAGE DEPOSITS (Security Deposit): Our Villas and Condos for the island of St. John all require a damage deposit. The deposit is $500-$1500 depending on the property reserved. In most cases this deposit may be applied to a Visa or MasterCard. Our consultants will advise you at the time of booking which policy applies to your rental home. The security deposits are fully refundable within 60 days of your departure, provided there is no breakage, damage, missing items, no charges incurred before, during or after your stay, still outstanding. All normal utilities (except long-distance phone calls or careless or extremely excessive use of your villa’s water supply) are included in your rental price. You hereby agree to pay Caribbean Villas on behalf of the owner of your villa the cleaning or replacement costs for all damages to personal property or to the real estate, which may occur as a result of your occupancy, excluding normal wear and tear. Locked pantries and closets are reserved for the use of the villa owner and are not included in this rental. You as a Guest agree to take all reasonable steps to ensure that your family and other guests in your party adhere to the rules and regulations affecting your villa. All villas are privately owned, so decor, colors and inventories will of course vary. All villas are fully furnished, including an ample supply of bed linens and towels for Guests’ use. Rearranging of furniture or removing any items from the villa is prohibited.
LIABILITY: Caribbean Villas, is acting hereunder as an agent for accommodations, and assumes no liability for property loss or damages, nor liability for injury, accident, delay, or irregularity which may be occasioned either by reason of defect in any vehicle or the acts of any company or persons engaged in conveying passengers to or from their villa. Transportation (airlines, ferries, charter vessels, rental cars and taxis) is supplied by providers who operate independently of Caribbean Villas. We assume no responsibility, therefore, for any loss, injury, or damage to person or property because of the acts of those providers. Furthermore, guests are responsible for their villa during occupancy, and must lock villa windows and doors securely at all times when not on the premises, and must exercise care in securing all personal property. Guests must observe all cautions as given in our blue guest book and/or by your local contact. All Caribbean Villa’s properties are privately owned. The Owner and Caribbean Villas reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at their complete discretion. Any and all disputes will be subject to jurisdiction only in the USVI.
COMPLAINTS AND MAINTENANCE: Caribbean Villas shall make every effort to keep all villas and their inventories in good working order. In case of a maintenance problem, they will strive to repair the problem as soon as possible after being notified. However, no refund or rate adjustment shall be made for unforseen failures such as the supply of electricity, water, pool filtration systems, air conditioning, television/cable service, internet access, appliances, etc. Due to wild fluctuations in our island electrical service and the lack of trained technicians here, we cannot guarantee that hot tubs at villas will operate correctly at all times, and no rebates will be given due to hot tub malfunctions. It is the Guest’s obligation to report any problem or damage IMMEDIATELY to us, regardless of the hour. No refunds will be considered unless problems are reported and reviewed by our staff during your stay on island.
CONSTRUCTION NOISE: Due to the amount of new villa construction on St. John, it is a possibility that construction may occur near your villa rental. Any construction and the possibility of new construction is outside the control of Caribbean Villas.
ENTRY INTO VILLA: Caribbean Villas or its staff may enter your villa to perform any repairs as necessary. If your villa is on the market for sale, we reserve the right to allow the villa to be shown, but only by advance appointment made with Guest. We will make every effort to schedule such brief showings at a time convenient to you, to respect your privacy, and not interrupt your vacation.
SUBSTITUTION: Caribbean Villas reserves the right to substitute comparable or better accommodations without liability, should the villa reserved be sold, out of order, double booked or be deemed substandard by us for any reason. If comparable accommodations are not available, Guest may receive a complete refund of all pro- rated rent and Hotel Tax/Service Charge paid for the original villa.
CAPACITY OF VILLAS: The total number of persons allowed in the villa at any one time is restricted to the number of persons scheduled and paid for (based on two persons per bedroom). Should a group misrepresent themselves, they will not be allowed entry into the villa. Exceptions to this term are made only by management, prior to your arrival dates and for infants under 2 yrs old; if sleeping in a baby crib and not occupying one of the villa’s beds.
QUIET ENJOYMENT AND PARTIES: Caribbean Villas wishes to maintain a family atmosphere for the quiet enjoyment of Guests. We rent to family groups and responsible adults only; absolutely NO house parties or functions such as weddings are allowed at the villas. Guests shall be sufficiently quiet and peaceful, so as not to disturb other residents of the neighborhood.
RATES AND PRINTING ERRORS: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
CHECK IN TIME: St. John – 3:00 p.m. and forward. CHECK-OUT TIME: 10:00 a.m. sharp. PETS: No pets of any kind are allowed in or on the villa premises. A pet or evidence of a pet found on the villa premises will cause immediate eviction and forfeiture of Guest’s entire rent and deposit.
ARRIVALS: For St. John there is one complimentary arrival that brings the arriving guests to the vehicle rental to pick up their reserved vehicle and then escorts the party to their villa. For 8pm -12 midnight arrivals there is a $50 check-in fee. You may schedule additional arrivals as needed for $75 per arrival. Please note: If we do not have your arrival information 60 days prior to your check-in, there will be a $50 charge applied to your security deposit.
CABLE TELEVISION: For St. John, most of the homes have expanded cable, with a few exceptions. Occasionally there is a problem with the cable television service. Caribbean Villas does not have any control over the cable service and repairs are currently taking between 8-14 days to complete.
PHONE SERVICE: ALL LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALLS ARE RESTRICED. We ask all guests to use a calling card to make long distance phone calls.Local calls are free. Occasionally there is a problem with the telephone lines for the villa and condo rentals. Caribbean Villas does not have any control over the telephone company and repairs are currently taking up to 30 days to complete. Rapture and Kalorama only have cell phone service.
CELL PHONE USAGE ALONG THE NORTH SHORE: If you use your cell phone on the north side of the island there is a good chance you will pick up the cell tower on Tortola (British Virgin Islands). If this happens you will be charged for an international call on your cell phone plan. DRUGS AND
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS: Guests and members of his party shall not use or permit to be brought into any villa and illegal substances, inflammable fluids (e.g., gasoline, kerosene, naphtha or benzene), or other explosives or articles deemed hazardous to life, limb or property.
VILLA, SAFE AND GATE KEYS: Caribbean Villas shall charge Guests $175 for each set of lost or mishandled keys; gate remote controls will be charged at replacement cost. Guest is required to follow all instructions precisely on where to leave your villa keys and gate remote controls when you depart–call if you are unsure!
CONSERVING ELECTRICITY: Due to the cost of electricity doubling, the air-conditioning in our villas/condos will not be turned on when you are checked into your property. At check-in, our staff will be happy to show you how to turn the systems on and off, should you decide to use the air-conditioning. We are requesting that you turn the air-conditioning off in all rooms when not at the villa. It does not take long to cool a room down when you return to the villa. We understand this is your vacation and we want it to be enjoyable and relaxing. Anything you are willing to do will be appreciated in conserving your electrical usage.
SMOKING: All Villas are non-smoking. Guests may be fined up to $150 for smoking violations. GARBAGE REMOVAL: Guests are responsible for removal of all trash from their villa. A $75 fee will be applied to guest’s security deposit if rental agent is required to remove trash left behind. There are numerous dumpsters throughout the island for your use.
CABLE/INTERNET/TELEPHONE/ELECTRICITY: In the Virgin Islands these services may be interrupted. If an interruption occurs the rental manager will report the problem but we have no control over service repairs. There will be no rental refunds due to the interruption of these services. Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile
- In Season Prices
Dec. 15, 2018 – April 12, 2019
$3195/wk for 2 people * $3510/wk for 3 * $3825/wk for 4
Christmas/New Years (Dec 22 – Jan. 7, 2019))
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Off Season Pricing
April 14, 2018 – Dec. 14, 2018
$1995/wk for 2 people * $2275/wk for 3 * $2555/wk for 4
Thanksgiving-Off Season Rates Apply
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Hotel Tax/Service Charge
12.5% Hotel tax/5% Service Charge
- Damage Deposit
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
In the many years since we began offering Over the Rainbow, the serenity and superb privacy of this setting hasn't been compromised in the least. The house however, has changed, all for the better. Since new owners bought Over the Rainbow in 2007 they have made numerous improvements and it now looks the best it has in 20 years. If you are looking for good hiking, the Reef Bay area has several trails available. Reef Bay Beach is less than a 1 mile hike and except for a handful of those who know St. John's secret beaches, Reef Bay is usually deserted. The Petroglyphs (the famous rock carvings of unknown origin), Lameshure Bay, and Bordeaux Mountain (St. John's highest mountain with spectacular down-island views) are a 1-2 mile hike. This is an excellent villa for honeymooners, couples, eco-tourists or anyone looking to relax and unwind in a splendidly peaceful and naturalist setting. From the pool deck, gaze at the brilliant sunrise over Reef Bay, or a fiery sunset glow over Fish Bay from the master bedroom deck. With almost no vehicular traffic in this neighborhood and great natural beauty, this villa is highly recommended for those who want to get away from it all in a beautiful, unspoiled setting, which also has a 40" flat screen TV/DVD, wireless internet and iPod connections – the best of both worlds.
- Guest Comments:
- We had a wonderful time at Over the Rainbow Nov 15-22. It was difficult to leave. This was our 3rd trip to St John, and also booking through your agency. Every one of our visits was extremely enjoyable and the relationship with Caribbean Villas has been consistently professional and amiable. We plan to be back and of course will be calling you once again. The thing I most like about CVRM is the way you present the villas on your web site. I can trust that we are going to rent a clean villa that is among the best that can be rented in the various price ranges offered. You rent quality properties and I can trust your candid guidance when choosing the villa. OTR was no exception. Hats off to the owners for the detail they provided in the documentation and equipping of their beautiful home. Dawn and I loved it the moment we walked in. I know this is a business, but you can tell they put love and effort in their home. Please pass my comments along to them--especially labeling the lighting switches and telephone. The interior and exterior lighting was very well done and provided a nice ambiance.
- We absolutely LOVED Over the Rainbow...perfect for 2 couples...St John is a beautiful place!
- Thank you SO much, we had a wonderful time! Over the Rainbow proved to be a perfect spot for us! We will be back!!
- We had a wonderful time at Over the Rainbow! The view was fantastic, the weather was great. We really enjoyed ourselves and will be back!!
- We just wanted to send you a quick note saying how wonderful Over The Rainbow was - it was so beautiful and tranquil. We absolutely loved it! We almost didn't want to explore the island because we thought the house was so perfect (though we did finally make it over to the beaches one day).
- I wanted to take a couple of minutes to compliment you on how well everything went for us on our vacation. The whole process from beginning to end seemed almost too good to be true! Your company did a great job handling all the arrangements. We were delighted with the villa! It always makes me nervous to book a house “sight unseen” but Over the Rainbow was all that it was advertised to be! It was a great experience all around. Great service!
- Just wanted to say the Villa was beautiful and your staff on the island was very helpful. The man we met who showed us the way to the Villa on the first day (Jim) was SO NICE. He even leant us some baby toys from his personal home. We returned the toys but never got a chance to say thank you. Please pass along our thanks. We will definately use you on our return trip in the future. It was so beautiful!!
- My girlfriend and I stayed in Over The Rainbow Dec. 30, 2012-Jan. 6, 2013, and we had the best time there. The villa was AWESOME, location was very private and quiet, and Jim/Terri (our greeters) were the best and very helpful. We are already planning our next trip, and we are planning to maybe buy some property on St. John. We just wanted you all to know how much we enjoyed our trip and villa. Have a good day and Happy New Year!
- Hello to the great staff at Caribbean Villas, I want to thank you all for our vacation at "Over the Rainbow". We found your business and communications to be first class. Our island greeteers Jim and Terry were very helpful and offered many suggestions on what to do on the island. Our Jeep was reliable and clean. The owners of the villa have done a super job of making the place friendly and comfortable. The plantings around the property and the pool were top notch. The Reef Bay view was spectacular. We slept in the Fish Bay room, the room was airy and comfortable. Never got tired of looking at all the animal life visiting the villa, the bananaquits and hummingbirds especially. Thanks again for a wonderful vacation.