Buena Vida is located in Cruz Bay and was completed and began renting in late 2010. This is a one bedroom, one bath 1,212 sq ft Penthouse unit on the top level of the first row of Grande Bay. In addition to having unobstructed views, this Penthouse has a Caribbean influenced design that incorporates airy vaulted ceilings and interior living areas that are surrounded by three outdoor living verandas and decks. The front veranda looks to the west, north and east and has great views of Cruz Bay Harbor, and sunsets over St Thomas. On the east side is a veranda that also has views that stretch from west to east. On the west side is a comfortable lanai (an outdoor living area) plus a sun patio off the master bedroom. The air-conditioned interior contains a second living area, the kitchen and the bedroom and bath.
- Bedrooms: 1
- Beds: 1
- Bed Description: 1 King
- Bathrooms: 1
- Property Location: Cruz Bay
- Proximity: Waterfront
- Property Size: 1212 sq ft
- Year Property Complete: 2010
- Beach: Nat. Park - 5 min.
- Pool: Yes - shared
- Pool Dimensions: 22 ft x 36 ft
- Hot Tub: Yes - Shared
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: Yes
- Damage Deposit: Prepaid $500
- Air Conditioning: Central A/C
- Children: Infants only
- Distance To Town: Less than a minute walk into town and to the closest restaurant.
- Living Dining: - The lanai is an indoor-outdoor living area with comfortable seating for four on a Tropitone sectional couch and chair set that is complemented by a granite coffee and end tables, locally crafted sconce lighting, and a ceiling fan. - The 46" flat screen TV on the lanai is equipped with a Blu Ray/DVD player and has Innovative Cable with 54 stations. This is all open air to the beautiful turquoise views of Cruz Bay Harbor. - The interior living room has an up-to-date look and comfortable furnishings including a couch, two end tables, two large lamps, and 4 leather stools for the granite bar and counter. This room has access to both the lanai and the east and front verandas.
- Kitchen: - The kitchen is equipped with all you need to cook complete meals. Cherry cabinets, granite countertops, tiled floors, stainless steel Whirlpool appliances including a ceramic cook top, dishwasher, oven, refrigerator/freezer with icemaker, and microwave, accompany a blender, coffee maker, toaster, glassware and utensils. - Cupboards are stocked with Calphalon cookware, colorful Fiesta dinnerware, and flatware. - A printer on the counter is available to print out plane tickets for your convenience. Both the kitchen and living area provide water views while cooking and relaxing. - Dine on the lanai at a table for four, or on the center or east verandas where two high-top tables provide seating for four in addition to the bench, chair, and coffee table. Pull up to the granite countertop in the kitchen/living area and sit on one of the four cushioned leather stools for lunch, or sit at the table and two chairs on the patio off of the master bedroom for a relaxing breakfast. No matter where you go in this condo there are plenty of places to sit down, relax and enjoy your favorite food and drink.
- Bedroom Details: - The bedroom has a king bed, two nightstands, a ceiling fan, a chest of drawers and lamps that are equipped with outlets for charging phones and accessories. Off the bedroom there is a small private sundeck that has two chaise loungers, tea table, two chairs and a 30" dining table. - Included in the master bedroom is a 32” flat screen TV with Innovative Cable, as well as an iHome clock radio with an iPod & iPhone compatible charger, and CD player. In the large closet there is a safe, an ironing board and iron, and luggage racks. - The granite and cherry bathroom has plenty of fresh towels, hand towels, wash cloths, and soft beach towels. There is a large shower complete with a towel bar to hang your swimsuits. No need to bring a hairdryer. Buena Vida is also equipped with a full size Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer in the front hall.
The Grande Bay Condominiums were completed in 2009/10 and consist of 48 units ranging from 1 to 3 bedrooms. This is a waterfront condominium, located on the south side of Cruz Bay Harbor. It’s a very easy walk to/from the ferry dock and to all of Cruz Bay’s restaurants, bars, shops, boutiques, groceries and nightlife. It’s also an easy walk to the cabstands where a 5-10 minute ride in an open air taxi takes you to St. John’s famous national park beaches.
The units at Grande Bay all share a heated pool, sundeck, hot tub and a fitness room, all open from 7am to 10pm.The fitness room is equipped with treadmills, rowing machine, Nautilus workout center, free-weights, Pilates machine, elliptical orbiters and a stationary bike. There is on site underground parking for rental vehicles.
Vehicle Information A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Pool Floats: Pool floats are not guaranteed with your villa rental. If you want access to them, please bring them with you.
After making your villa/condo booking with us, you have 7 days to send us your rental deposit and guest contract. Payment is by check, personal check is fine. Your sending us payment on your villa rental becomes a binding agreement; it constitutes your acceptance and agreement to these terms, conditions, limitations and restrictions as mentioned in our Payment and Cancellation Polices section on this page. If you have any problems or questions with any of this information, please be sure to call us for discussion and explanation before you send us your villa rental deposit monies and contract.
PAYMENTS: Caribbean Villas requires 50% down within 7 days of making your reservation by check only. Failure to make this payment subjects your reservation to automatic cancellation. The balance of your reservation including the tax/service charge and security deposit where applicable; is due 60 days prior to arrival. If traveling during the Christmas/New Years time period the balance including the tax/service charge is due 120 days prior to arrival. Rates are based on Cash Prices – Payment is by check only. To pay with a visa/mastercard there is a 3% service fee. Please make the checks payable to Caribbean Villas and mail them to 89 Mussey Rd., Suite 103, Scarborough, ME 04074.
CANCELLATION POLICY: All cancellations and any requests for changes to your reservation (such as date changes or changes in the number in your party) must be made IN WRITING, and faxed, emailed or mailed to us promptly. Once Caribbean Villas has received your deposit, if you cancel/change your reservation 120 days or more prior to arrival, there is a 20% penalty off the total room charge. If you cancel/change your reservation 60-120 days prior to arrival, there is a 50% penalty off the total room charge. If you cancel/change within 60 days of arrival, there is a 100% penalty off the total room charge. Christmas/New Years and President weeks are non-refundable.
Cancellation Policy for the following villas ~ Caneel Trailside Cottage, Francis Bay Estates, Sunset Beach, Terrahawk, La Bella Vita, Colibri, Vista Caribe, Cruz Views #1 and Croix Vista. These villas are non-refundable/non-changeable, for any reason, once payment is received.
Trip Cancellation Insurance: Caribbean Villas recommends CSA Travel Protection: http://www.csatravelprotection.com/?aff=71027664
Please note: If we do not have your arrival information 60 days prior to your check-in, there will be a $50 charge applied to your security deposit.
PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS: If you are a U.S. Citizen traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) you will need Proof of Citizenship; this is a Photo ID and a birth certificate with a raised seal (photo copies are not allowed). *For further information: http://www.travel.state.gov * Please note: If you are traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) and are planning to do any day trips/day sails to the British Virgin Island or any other Caribbean country you will need a valid U.S. Passport
MAID SERVICE: Our homes/condos do not include maid service. Maid Service may be arranged at an additional cost. Towels, linens, beach towels and paper products are provided for your entire stay. Any additional supplies will need to be purchased by the guest.
HURRICANE CANCELLATIONS: Hurricane season is from June 1-November 30. Caribbean Villas highly recommends that your purchase trip cancellation insurance. This insurance will cover you in case of a natural disaster (please verify all terms and conditions with the insurance company). If you do not purchase insurance and if a hurricane is threatening St. John and we advise you not to travel, we will hold your balance on account for a future stay at the property reserved. We will not hold your balance on account if the hurricane is not a threat to St. John and you are unable to travel because of canceled flights. If you are currently on St. John and a hurricane is threatening the island and we ask that you depart the island early, we will hold your balance on account for a future stay at the same property.
EXCEPTIONS: This policy does not cover Delfina, Reefside Villa, Sunset Beach, Francis Bay Estates, Terrahawk, Vista Caribe, Croix Vista, Cruz Views #1, Villa Rendezvous and La Bella Vita. Though we ask them to adhere to this policy final decisions will be made by the island managers.
HOTEL TAX/SERVICE CHARGE: If traveling to St. John, a 12.5% hotel tax and 5% service charge will be added to your reservation. (When the hotel tax changes all reservations are subject to the tax increase.)
DAMAGE DEPOSITS (Security Deposit): Our Villas and Condos for the island of St. John all require a damage deposit. The deposit is $500-$1500 depending on the property reserved. In most cases this deposit may be applied to a Visa or MasterCard. Our consultants will advise you at the time of booking which policy applies to your rental home. The security deposits are fully refundable within 60 days of your departure, provided there is no breakage, damage, missing items, no charges incurred before, during or after your stay, still outstanding. All normal utilities (except long-distance phone calls or careless or extremely excessive use of your villa’s water supply) are included in your rental price. You hereby agree to pay Caribbean Villas on behalf of the owner of your villa the cleaning or replacement costs for all damages to personal property or to the real estate, which may occur as a result of your occupancy, excluding normal wear and tear. Locked pantries and closets are reserved for the use of the villa owner and are not included in this rental. You as a Guest agree to take all reasonable steps to ensure that your family and other guests in your party adhere to the rules and regulations affecting your villa. All villas are privately owned, so decor, colors and inventories will of course vary. All villas are fully furnished, including an ample supply of bed linens and towels for Guests’ use. Rearranging of furniture or removing any items from the villa is prohibited.
LIABILITY: Caribbean Villas, is acting hereunder as an agent for accommodations, and assumes no liability for property loss or damages, nor liability for injury, accident, delay, or irregularity which may be occasioned either by reason of defect in any vehicle or the acts of any company or persons engaged in conveying passengers to or from their villa. Transportation (airlines, ferries, charter vessels, rental cars and taxis) is supplied by providers who operate independently of Caribbean Villas. We assume no responsibility, therefore, for any loss, injury, or damage to person or property because of the acts of those providers. Furthermore, guests are responsible for their villa during occupancy, and must lock villa windows and doors securely at all times when not on the premises, and must exercise care in securing all personal property. Guests must observe all cautions as given in our blue guest book and/or by your local contact. All Caribbean Villa’s properties are privately owned. The Owner and Caribbean Villas reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at their complete discretion. Any and all disputes will be subject to jurisdiction only in the USVI.
COMPLAINTS AND MAINTENANCE: Caribbean Villas shall make every effort to keep all villas and their inventories in good working order. In case of a maintenance problem, they will strive to repair the problem as soon as possible after being notified. However, no refund or rate adjustment shall be made for unforseen failures such as the supply of electricity, water, pool filtration systems, air conditioning, television/cable service, internet access, appliances, etc. Due to wild fluctuations in our island electrical service and the lack of trained technicians here, we cannot guarantee that hot tubs at villas will operate correctly at all times, and no rebates will be given due to hot tub malfunctions. It is the Guest’s obligation to report any problem or damage IMMEDIATELY to us, regardless of the hour. No refunds will be considered unless problems are reported and reviewed by our staff during your stay on island.
CONSTRUCTION NOISE: Due to the amount of new villa construction on St. John, it is a possibility that construction may occur near your villa rental. Any construction and the possibility of new construction is outside the control of Caribbean Villas.
ENTRY INTO VILLA: Caribbean Villas or its staff may enter your villa to perform any repairs as necessary. If your villa is on the market for sale, we reserve the right to allow the villa to be shown, but only by advance appointment made with Guest. We will make every effort to schedule such brief showings at a time convenient to you, to respect your privacy, and not interrupt your vacation.
SUBSTITUTION: Caribbean Villas reserves the right to substitute comparable or better accommodations without liability, should the villa reserved be sold, out of order, double booked or be deemed substandard by us for any reason. If comparable accommodations are not available, Guest may receive a complete refund of all pro rated rent and Hotel Tax/Service Charge paid for the original villa.
CAPACITY OF VILLAS: The total number of persons allowed in the villa at any one time is restricted to the number of persons scheduled and paid for (based on two persons per bedroom). Should a group misrepresent themselves, they will not be allowed entry into the villa. Exceptions to this term are made only by management, prior to your arrival dates and for infants under 2 yrs old; if sleeping in a baby crib and not occupying one of the villa’s beds.
QUIET ENJOYMENT AND PARTIES: Caribbean Villas wishes to maintain a family atmosphere for the quiet enjoyment of Guests. We rent to family groups and responsible adults only; absolutely NO house parties or functions such as weddings are allowed at the villas. Guests shall be sufficiently quiet and peaceful, so as not to disturb other residents of the neighborhood.
RATES AND PRINTING ERRORS: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
CHECK IN TIME: St. John – 3:00 p.m. and forward. CHECK-OUT TIME: 10:00 a.m. sharp. PETS: No pets of any kind are allowed in or on the villa premises. A pet or evidence of a pet found on the villa premises will cause immediate eviction and forfeiture of Guest’s entire rent and deposit.
ARRIVALS: For St. John there is one complimentary arrival that brings the arriving guests to the vehicle rental to pick up their reserved vehicle and then escorts the party to their villa. For 8pm -12 midnight arrivals there is a $50 check-in fee. You may schedule additional arrivals as needed for $75 per arrival. Please note: If we do not have your arrival information 60 days prior to your check-in, there will be a $50 charge applied to your security deposit.
CABLE TELEVISION: For St. John, most of the homes have expanded cable, with a few exceptions. Occasionally there is a problem with the cable television service. Caribbean Villas does not have any control over the cable service and repairs are currently taking between 8-14 days to complete.
PHONE SERVICE: ALL LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALLS ARE RESTRICED. We ask all guests to use a calling card to make long distance phone calls.Local calls are free. Occasionally there is a problem with the telephone lines for the villa and condo rentals. Caribbean Villas does not have any control over the telephone company and repairs are currently taking up to 30 days to complete. Rapture and Kalorama only have cell phone service.
CELL PHONE USAGE ALONG THE NORTH SHORE: If you use your cell phone on the north side of the island there is a good chance you will pick up the cell tower on Tortola (British Virgin Islands). If this happens you will be charged for an international call on your cell phone plan.
DRUGS AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS: Guests and members of his party shall not use or permit to be brought into any villa and illegal substances, inflammable fluids (e.g., gasoline, kerosene, naphtha or benzene), or other explosives or articles deemed hazardous to life, limb or property.
VILLA, SAFE AND GATE KEYS: Caribbean Villas shall charge Guests $175 for each set of lost or mishandled keys; gate remote controls will be charged at replacement cost. Guest is required to follow all instructions precisely on where to leave your villa keys and gate remote controls when you depart–call if you are unsure!
CONSERVING ELECTRICITY: Due to the cost of electricity doubling, the air-conditioning in our villas/condos will not be turned on when you are checked into your property. At check-in, our staff will be happy to show you how to turn the systems on and off, should you decide to use the air-conditioning. We are requesting that you turn the air-conditioning off in all rooms when not at the villa. It does not take long to cool a room down when you return to the villa. We understand this is your vacation and we want it to be enjoyable and relaxing. Anything you are willing to do will be appreciated in conserving your electrical usage.
SMOKING: All Villas are non-smoking. Guests may be fined up to $150 for smoking violations.
GARBAGE REMOVAL: Guests are responsible for removal of all trash from their villa. A $75 fee will be applied to guest’s security deposit if rental agent is required to remove trash left behind. There are numerous dumpsters throughout the island for your use.
CABLE/INTERNET/TELEPHONE/ELECTRICITY: In the Virgin Islands these services may be interrupted. If an interruption occurs the rental manager will report the problem but we have no control over service repairs. There will be no rental refunds due to the interruption of these services. Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile.
- In Season Prices
Dec. 16, 2017 – April 13, 2018
$3150/wk for 2 people
Christmas/New Years (Dec 16 to Jan 6)
7 night minimum
- Off Season Pricing
April 24, 2017 – Dec. 15, 2017
$2100/wk for 2 people
3 night minimum, $100 surcharge for stays of 5 nights or less
Thanksgiving – (7 night minimum)
$3150/wk for 2
- Hotel Tax
12.5% Hotel tax
- Damage Deposit
(Damage deposit is refunded 30 days after departure as long as no damage occurs during your stay)
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
This top floor Penthouse unit is the tops. Here’s why we like it:
- The location - less than a 5 minute walk from the dock means you can be unpacked and enjoying a Piña Colada in no time, either on your deck, or at the Beach Bar or the Banana Deck!
- For entertainment - a 46” and a 32” flat screen TV, Blu Ray, plus wireless internet and iPod connectivity.
- Located in the front row of Grande Bay - this gives an unobstructed and delightful view of the harbor, plus beautiful sunsets and St Thomas in the west and St John’s sparkling lights at night in the east.
- It’s a Penthouse, and this penthouse design is more like a private villa than a condo unit, with vaulted ceilings plus decks and verandas on three sides of the interior living space.
- There are only a few Penthouse units at Grande Bay, and Buena Vida is a corner unit with no neighbor on the east side.
- The owners of Buena Vida also own Oleander Villa, a beautiful and popular 3-bedroom villa in Klein Bay. They have a good understanding of what makes a successful rental home and that knowledge is reflected in Buena Vida.
- Buena Vida is a great rental for honeymooners and couples especially if they prefer not to rent a jeep.
- Guest Comments:
- I stayed at Buena Vida last May and just loved it. The outdoor spaces are just wonderful.
- We had a wonderful time at Grande Bay. Buena Vida was beautiful. Thank you so much for everything. We hope to visit St John again soon.
- I only have a few comments: 1) The place was excellent as was the staff. 2) The people I dealt with when booking our trip were exceptional, helpful, and quick to respond. 3) Our greeter when arriving at the island was terrific. Her name was Winnie. In my line of work, I stay at hotels over 100 times per year and that was the best welcome I've ever had. Thank you for the wonderful vacation. We will definitely get our recommendation if anyone we know is planning a visit to the Caribbean.