Summerwind consists of 2 buildings, each with 2 levels. You park above the villa and descend a beautiful stone stairway to the pool and sundeck, which separate the two structures. The hot tub is also located on the sundeck, tucked into a private corner on the rear of the deck. The pool and sundeck were sited to capture sun most of the day, but the big (36 ft) covered deck provides a lovely outdoor shaded area with superb views for those who want to stay out of the sun. On the upper floor of the building on the left (the main house) are the living room, dining area and kitchen and the large covered deck. The roomy master bedroom is on the upper level of the second building and the other 3 bedrooms are on the lower levels of both buildings. All lower level bedrooms are accessed by exterior stairs.
- Bedrooms: 4
- Beds: 4
- Bed Description: 1 King, 3 Queens
- Bathrooms: 4.5
- Property Location: Bordeaux Mountain
- Proximity: Ocean View
- Property Size: 2400 sq/ft
- Year Property Complete: 2004
- Beach: Nat. Park - 15 min. drive
- Pool: Yes
- Pool Dimensions: 10 x 20 x 5 ft deep
- Hot Tub: Yes
- Air Conditioning: Yes, all rooms
- Children: Welcome
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: Yes
- Damage Deposit: $500
- Distance To Town: It's a 12 -15 minute drive to Cruz Bay or Coral Bay. It's an 6-7 minute drive to the north shore road to access the National Park Beaches.
- Living And Dining: The living room is stylish and comfortable with a/c, marble floors, a cathedral ceiling and appealing island décor. As you enter the great room there is a wet bar and desk/work area off the deck while the kitchen is at the opposite end. there is a 42" flatscreen TV/DVD, stereo/CD, plus internet in the living room. Screened sliding glass doors open to the great views and a 36’ covered deck that faces the British Virgin Islands. The deck has a table for 4-6 or you can dine inside at the table in the dining area.
- Kitchen: The kitchen has a clean and modern look and is provided with a 4-burner gas stove and oven, a refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, microwave, blender, coffeemaker, toaster and all other kitchen ware necessary to prepare and serve tantalizing meals for 2-8 persons. There is a gas grill on the deck and a laundry room with a washer/dryer.
- Bedroom Details: All the bedrooms are fully screened and air conditioned and all have private tiled baths and views of the water. The master bedroom (king bed) is down a few stairs off the pool deck. This bedroom is larger than the other three bedrooms and with its marble floors, cathedral ceiling and appealing décor it is quite lovely and romantic. The master has a marble tiled bath with a tiled indoor shower and a stone outdoor shower. The three guest bedrooms all have queen beds, are fully screened and are similar in size and décor.
On the drive from Cruz Bay to Coral Bay, and a few miles before you reach Coral Bay, you pass over Bordeaux Mountain. At an elevation of 1200 feet Bordeaux is St John’s highest mountain, and it is also the site of some very private luxury villas. Summerwind is located in a peaceful and unspoiled location on Bordeaux Mountain, only about a ¼ mile off Centerline Road (St. John’s main road). At an elevation of about 1000 feet, the down island views and clothing optional privacy and tranquility are excellent. The view overlooks Coral Bay, the east end of St. John, the Sir Francis Drake Channel and many of the British Virgin Islands. It sweeps from Sandy Key in the northwest, past Tortola and Virgin Gorda and the other British islands that lie to the east.
Despite being in a pristine location, Summerwind is a paved 15-20 minute drive into Cruz Bay, 10-15 minutes into the smaller town of Coral Bay and a 10-15 minute drive to the National Park beaches on the North Shore.
Vehicle Information A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Pool Floats: Pool floats are not guaranteed with your villa rental. If you want access to them, please bring them with you.
After making your villa/condo booking with us, you have 7 days to send us your rental deposit and guest contract. Payment is by check, personal check is fine. Your sending us payment on your villa rental becomes a binding agreement; it constitutes your acceptance and agreement to these terms, conditions, limitations and restrictions as mentioned in our Payment and Cancellation Polices section on this page. If you have any problems or questions with any of this information, please be sure to call us for discussion and explanation before you send us your villa rental deposit monies and contract.
PAYMENTS: Caribbean Villas requires 50% down within 7 days of making your reservation by check only. Failure to make this payment subjects your reservation to automatic cancellation. The balance of your reservation including the tax/service charge and security deposit where applicable; is due 60 days prior to arrival. If traveling during the Christmas/New Years time period, the balance including the tax/service charge is due 120 days prior to arrival. Rates are based on Cash Prices – Payment is by check. To pay with a visa/mastercard there is a 3% service fee. Please make the checks payable to Caribbean Villas and mail them to 89 Mussey Rd., Suite 103, Scarborough, ME 04074.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Once Caribbean Villas has received your deposit all payments are non-refundable/non-changeable. If you cancel/change your reservation, and we are able to rebook your entire set of travel dates, your money will be refunded, less a 20% administration fee of the total room charge. If a replacement rental is not obtained for your entire set of travel dates, there will be no refund. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Caribbean Villas highly recommends trip cancellation insurance.
HURRICANE AND/OR STORM POLICY: There will be no refunds given for acts of God or force majeure, such as hurricanes, tropical storms etc on St John, USVI. This policy applies to current and all future guests who have reservations to travel or are on St John. We highly recommend trip cancellation insurance. If insurance is not purchased and St John is impacted by an act of god or force majeure we will hold your money on account for a future stay. There will be no exceptions to this policy.
TRIP CANCELLATION INSURANCE: Consumer Advocates – Trip Cancellation Insurance. Please verify all terms and conditions of coverage with the trip cancellation insurance company. It is the guests responsibility to cover themselves in the event they need to cancel or change their vacation plans.
Please note: If we do not have your arrival information 60 days prior to your check-in, there will be a $50 charge applied to your security deposit.
PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS: If you are a U.S. Citizen traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) you will need Proof of Citizenship; this is a Photo ID and a birth certificate with a raised seal (photo copies are not allowed). *For further information: http://www.travel.state.gov * Please note: If you are traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) and are planning to do any day trips/day sails to the British Virgin Island or any other Caribbean country you will need a valid U.S. Passport
MAID SERVICE: Our homes/condos do not include maid service. Maid Service may be arranged at an additional cost. Towels, linens, beach towels and paper products are provided for your entire stay. Any additional supplies will need to be purchased by the guest.
HOTEL TAX/SERVICE CHARGE: If traveling to St. John, a 12.5% hotel tax and 5% service charge will be added to your reservation. (When the hotel tax changes all reservations are subject to the tax increase.)
DAMAGE DEPOSITS (Security Deposit): Our Villas and Condos for the island of St. John all require a damage deposit. The deposit is $500-$1500 depending on the property reserved. In most cases this deposit may be applied to a Visa or MasterCard. Our consultants will advise you at the time of booking which policy applies to your rental home. The security deposits are fully refundable within 60 days of your departure, provided there is no breakage, damage, missing items, no charges incurred before, during or after your stay, still outstanding. All normal utilities (except long-distance phone calls or careless or extremely excessive use of your villa’s water supply) are included in your rental price. You hereby agree to pay Caribbean Villas on behalf of the owner of your villa the cleaning or replacement costs for all damages to personal property or to the real estate, which may occur as a result of your occupancy, excluding normal wear and tear. Locked pantries and closets are reserved for the use of the villa owner and are not included in this rental. You as a Guest agree to take all reasonable steps to ensure that your family and other guests in your party adhere to the rules and regulations affecting your villa. All villas are privately owned, so decor, colors and inventories will of course vary. All villas are fully furnished, including an ample supply of bed linens and towels for Guests’ use. Rearranging of furniture or removing any items from the villa is prohibited.
LIABILITY: Caribbean Villas, is acting hereunder as an agent for accommodations, and assumes no liability for property loss or damages, nor liability for injury, accident, delay, or irregularity which may be occasioned either by reason of defect in any vehicle or the acts of any company or persons engaged in conveying passengers to or from their villa. Transportation (airlines, ferries, charter vessels, rental cars and taxis) is supplied by providers who operate independently of Caribbean Villas. We assume no responsibility, therefore, for any loss, injury, or damage to person or property because of the acts of those providers. Furthermore, guests are responsible for their villa during occupancy, and must lock villa windows and doors securely at all times when not on the premises, and must exercise care in securing all personal property. Guests must observe all cautions as given in our blue guest book and/or by your local contact. All Caribbean Villa’s properties are privately owned. The Owner and Caribbean Villas reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at their complete discretion. Any and all disputes will be subject to jurisdiction only in the USVI.
COMPLAINTS AND MAINTENANCE: Caribbean Villas shall make every effort to keep all villas and their inventories in good working order. In case of a maintenance problem, they will strive to repair the problem as soon as possible after being notified. However, no refund or rate adjustment shall be made for unforseen failures such as the supply of electricity, water, pool filtration systems, air conditioning, television/cable service, internet access, appliances, etc. Due to wild fluctuations in our island electrical service and the lack of trained technicians here, we cannot guarantee that hot tubs at villas will operate correctly at all times, and no rebates will be given due to hot tub malfunctions. It is the Guest’s obligation to report any problem or damage IMMEDIATELY to us, regardless of the hour. No refunds will be considered unless problems are reported and reviewed by our staff during your stay on island.
CONSTRUCTION NOISE: Due to the amount of new villa construction on St. John, it is a possibility that construction may occur near your villa rental. Any construction and the possibility of new construction is outside the control of Caribbean Villas.
ENTRY INTO VILLA: Caribbean Villas or its staff may enter your villa to perform any repairs as necessary. If your villa is on the market for sale, we reserve the right to allow the villa to be shown, but only by advance appointment made with Guest. We will make every effort to schedule such brief showings at a time convenient to you, to respect your privacy, and not interrupt your vacation.
SUBSTITUTION: Caribbean Villas reserves the right to substitute comparable or better accommodations without liability, should the villa reserved be sold, out of order, double booked or be deemed substandard by us for any reason. If comparable accommodations are not available, Guest may receive a complete refund of all pro- rated rent and Hotel Tax/Service Charge paid for the original villa.
CAPACITY OF VILLAS: The total number of persons allowed in the villa at any one time is restricted to the number of persons scheduled and paid for (based on two persons per bedroom). Should a group misrepresent themselves, they will not be allowed entry into the villa. Exceptions to this term are made only by management, prior to your arrival dates and for infants under 2 yrs old; if sleeping in a baby crib and not occupying one of the villa’s beds.
QUIET ENJOYMENT AND PARTIES: Caribbean Villas wishes to maintain a family atmosphere for the quiet enjoyment of Guests. We rent to family groups and responsible adults only; absolutely NO house parties or functions such as weddings are allowed at the villas. Guests shall be sufficiently quiet and peaceful, so as not to disturb other residents of the neighborhood.
RATES AND PRINTING ERRORS: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
CHECK IN TIME: St. John – 3:00 p.m. and forward. CHECK-OUT TIME: 10:00 a.m. sharp. PETS: No pets of any kind are allowed in or on the villa premises. A pet or evidence of a pet found on the villa premises will cause immediate eviction and forfeiture of Guest’s entire rent and deposit.
ARRIVALS: For St. John there is one complimentary arrival that brings the arriving guests to the vehicle rental to pick up their reserved vehicle and then escorts the party to their villa. For 8pm -12 midnight arrivals there is a $50 check-in fee. You may schedule additional arrivals as needed for $75 per arrival. Please note: If we do not have your arrival information 60 days prior to your check-in, there will be a $50 charge applied to your security deposit.
CABLE TELEVISION: For St. John, most of the homes have expanded cable, with a few exceptions. Occasionally there is a problem with the cable television service. Caribbean Villas does not have any control over the cable service and repairs are currently taking between 8-14 days to complete.
PHONE SERVICE: ALL LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALLS ARE RESTRICED. We ask all guests to use a calling card to make long distance phone calls.Local calls are free. Occasionally there is a problem with the telephone lines for the villa and condo rentals. Caribbean Villas does not have any control over the telephone company and repairs are currently taking up to 30 days to complete. Rapture and Kalorama only have cell phone service.
CELL PHONE USAGE ALONG THE NORTH SHORE: If you use your cell phone on the north side of the island there is a good chance you will pick up the cell tower on Tortola (British Virgin Islands). If this happens you will be charged for an international call on your cell phone plan. DRUGS AND
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS: Guests and members of his party shall not use or permit to be brought into any villa and illegal substances, inflammable fluids (e.g., gasoline, kerosene, naphtha or benzene), or other explosives or articles deemed hazardous to life, limb or property.
VILLA, SAFE AND GATE KEYS: Caribbean Villas shall charge Guests $175 for each set of lost or mishandled keys; gate remote controls will be charged at replacement cost. Guest is required to follow all instructions precisely on where to leave your villa keys and gate remote controls when you depart–call if you are unsure!
CONSERVING ELECTRICITY: Due to the cost of electricity doubling, the air-conditioning in our villas/condos will not be turned on when you are checked into your property. At check-in, our staff will be happy to show you how to turn the systems on and off, should you decide to use the air-conditioning. We are requesting that you turn the air-conditioning off in all rooms when not at the villa. It does not take long to cool a room down when you return to the villa. We understand this is your vacation and we want it to be enjoyable and relaxing. Anything you are willing to do will be appreciated in conserving your electrical usage.
SMOKING: All Villas are non-smoking. Guests may be fined up to $150 for smoking violations. GARBAGE REMOVAL: Guests are responsible for removal of all trash from their villa. A $75 fee will be applied to guest’s security deposit if rental agent is required to remove trash left behind. There are numerous dumpsters throughout the island for your use.
CABLE/INTERNET/TELEPHONE/ELECTRICITY: In the Virgin Islands these services may be interrupted. If an interruption occurs the rental manager will report the problem but we have no control over service repairs. There will be no rental refunds due to the interruption of these services. Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile
- Save 10% for dates, Feb. 24 - Mar. 9, 2019
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- In Season Prices
Dec. 15, 2018 – April 26, 2019
$4375/wk for 2 * $4690/wk 3-4 * $5005/wk 5-6 * $5355/wk 7-8
- Off Season Pricing
April 27, 2019 – Dec. 20, 2019
$2380/wk for 2 people * $2800/wk 3-4 * $3150/wk 5-6 * $3535/wk 7-8
- Holiday Rates (Flat Rate)
(Nov. 23 -30, 2019)
$3535/wk 2-8 people
(Dec. 21, 2019 – Jan. 3, 2020)
$6790/wk 2-8 people
- 12.5% Hotel tax/5% Service Charge
- Damage Deposit
- Saturday to Saturday Rentals only
Exceptions subject to owner approval of dates – please call or email to inquire
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
Summerwind was built in 2004 in one of the most upscale and convenient neighborhoods in the Bordeaux Mountain area. It’s a private and tranquil area, with only three 2-3 million dollar homes (as of March, 2014) sharing this neighborhood. From any room of Summerwind the views are superb, and the pool and sundeck were thoughtfully sited to capture the views plus lots of sun throughout the day.
The amenities and desirable features list for this home are impressive:
A 20’ pool
A 4-person hot tub
Air conditioning in all the rooms
Excellent privacy in a peaceful and quiet neighborhood
Wonderful views of blue seas and distant islands as far as you can see
Restaurants, groceries and National Park beaches that are a 1-3 mile drive on paved roads
Summerwind is owned by a family with 3 children under the age of 10. The entire family often stays at Summerwind and they love it, so it works well for families. This is also a good choice for couples, and the pool, hot tub and private and romantic location make this a fine choice for lovers and honeymooners.
- Guest Comments:
- Everything was great! Summerwind is a lovely home with great views and nice rooms all around. Thank you for the wonderful vacation!
- My family and I really enjoyed our trip! Summerwind was a wonderful villa with wonderful views and we enjoyed it immensely! Thank you!!
- Thank you for the wonderful vacation! Summerwind was everything we were looking for and the Bordeaux Moutain region is wonderful! Views are amazing.....great breezes and the privacy! Thank you!
- Just wanted to let you know how much we loved Summerwind. The photos truely do not do this house justice. It is a huge value for what it offers. We had a great trip.
- Good Morning. probably would have done a note eventually re my experience with Caribbean Villas and Summerwind, but your "welcome home" message prompted an immediate deserved response. Little background. Wife and I are last minute travelers to stj, this was my 14th trip since 2004. We fly standby on delta out of Atlanta and expect value for our lodging. Until this trip, newer used Caribbean Villas, perhaps mix of concern for 5% fee your co charges or not having availability in villa than met our needs (some times only 2 of us, never more than 4 and sometimes shorter than 1 week stays though our average probably is 7 nites). A couple yrs ago we stayed at a villa, Casa Bueno, next door to Summerwind, we loved area and had read great thinks about Summerwind, so she was added to our list of suspects. As we planned this trip (with same couple that were on stay at casab), the villa selection for the end of high season was limited, but there was opening at Summerwind. Started inquiring via email and also had calls with Kris re Summerwind and mechanics of booking a last minute reservation at Summerwind if the schedule stayed good for our dates. Kris's responses and courtesies were exceptional. I was not treated as a "tire kicker" as has been done by a couple of stj agencies, but rather as a long time friend who could not do enough to help me. when we were comfortable booking on 4/2, 2 days before dept, Kris again was ready to make the process easy. As a frequent visitor with knowledge of area of Summerwind, we arranged with our greater, Terry, for timely access to villa and she too was most gracious and helpful. Summerwind was all we expected and more. All that to say this. Our trip was a breeze and most enjoyable due to Caribbean Villas, her staff, Summerwind and Terry. Admitted the natural beauty of stj added a special flavor. When we plan another trip, while we have several other villas that will get a look see on availability and rates, Caribbean Villas and her many villas will get detailed looks and will win all ties when a decision is made. Another point your web site is very user friendly and is head and shoulders above the competition. For folks like us, your 'last minute discount links" and fast availability links sure make my work easy. Have a good day and please pass my thank yous on to Kris and Terry.
- Summerwind was great. We enjoyed the villa and the view! Can't wait to go back.