From the parking area, you enter Mermaid Falls along a very attractive coral stone walkway. The walkway is flanked by towering palm trees and tropical vegetation and flows into a coral stone deck which surrounds a large curved lagoon pool. A seemingly natural waterfall flows into the pool from a rocky outcropping, and the majestic ocean views appear through arches supported by Doric columns. Before you even set foot in this villa you will be struck by its beautiful design and location, and once you walk through Mermaid Falls you will agree that this is definitely one of St John’s Ultra Luxury Villas.
Mermaid Falls, along with Amorosa and the Peter Bay Beach House, are beautiful homes that were designed by the prominent Caribbean architect, Michael Oxman. The traditional design is both handsome and stylish, and it incorporates many elegant features such as graceful arched passageways supported by Doric columns, tiled roofs, spacious coral stone decks, oversized mahogany French doors, tiled floors throughout, ballistered railings, beamed cathedral ceilings, and many private decks and sitting areas.
Mermaid Falls consists of a great house and a guest house. The two buildings are tied together by a coral stone deck and a covered patio and wet bar. The great house contains the kitchen, living and dining areas on the main (pool) level, while a hand rubbed mahogany staircase leads to the master bedroom/bath and a guest bedroom/bath on the upper level. Exterior stairs lead down to the lower level bedroom/bath in the main house. The guest house is a 2 1/2 story building with a bedroom/bath on the lower level and a second bedroom/bath plus a loft office on the main level.
- Bedrooms: 5
- Beds: 7
- Bed Description: 1 King, 3 Queens, 3 Twins
- Bathrooms: 5.5
- Property Location: Peter Bay
- Proximity: Ocean View
- Property Size: 8200 sq. ft.
- Year Property Complete: 2003
- Beach: Peter Bay Beach, private
- Pool: Yes
- Pool Dimensions: 30' x 10' x 5' ft deep
- Hot Tub: Yes
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: Yes
- Damage Deposit: $1,000 Prepaid
- Air Conditioning: Yes, all rooms
- Children: Welcome
- Distance To Town: 5 miles from Cruz Bay; less than 5 minute drive to North Shore beaches.
- Living Dining: Oversized French mahogany doors open to this traditionally styled living room with its beamed cathedral ceilings and terra cotta tiled floors. It is furnished with sink-into-it furniture and includes a flat screen satellite TV/DVD and a stereo/CD player and satellite radio. The formal dining room seats 8 but there are also dining tables on the sun deck and in the alcove by the gas barbeque grill.
- Kitchen: The elegant kitchen adjoins the living room and has coral counter tops, mahogany cabinets and all stainless steel appliances, including a gas stove and oven with ventilation hood, a microwave oven, dishwasher, refrigerator/freezer, toaster, coffee maker and a complete collection of cookware and dinnerware. There is a washer/dryer off the kitchen as well as a half bath.
- Bedroom Details: The gorgeous mahogany staircase in the great room leads up to the stately master bedroom with its 4-poster king bed. The master is the largest bedroom and includes a writing desk, upholstered reading chairs, a satellite TV and DVD and a whirlpool tub in the master bath. Down the hall from the master is a guest bedroom with a queen bed, satellite TV and DVD and tasteful furnishings. On the lower level of the main house there is a spacious and private bedroom with 3 twin beds, a flat screen TV and DVD and comfortable seating area for four. In the guest house, the lower bedroom has a queen sleigh bed while the upper bedroom has a queen 4-poster bed. All five bedrooms have ocean views, tiled baths and showers, private tiled decks or balconies, and individually controlled air conditioning.
The road from Cruz Bay to Mermaid Falls winds along the fabled north shore of St. John, and is rated one of the most scenic drives in the Caribbean. At Peter Bay, you take a right onto a private drive that is bordered by handsome stone walls and cascading bougainvillea. After climbing to an elevation of about 550 feet, the spectacular views and the tiled roofs of Mermaid Falls appear through the trees – you’ve arrived at a very special place.
Mermaid Falls is located in upper Peter Bay, and towers over the homes located in lower Peter Bay. Peter Bay is surrounded by the National Park which creates a wonderful and natural setting. The view is just gorgeous as it sweeps for more than 180 degrees, from sunsets over St. Thomas, Hans Lollick and Lovango Cay in the west, past Jost Van Dyke and Great Thatch in the north, to Tortola in the east. Below you are the white sands and turquoise waters of St John’s legendary north shore, while all around you is a forest of green. This is one of the finest, most highly prized locations on St. John and in the entire Caribbean.
Mermaid Falls has deeded access (during the day) to the beach at Peter Bay, a white sand beach with tranquil waters and good swimming and snorkeling. If you prefer, it’s less than a 5-minute drive to the world class National Park beaches at Trunk or Cinnamon Bays. It’s a 5-10 minute, beautiful drive to the celebrated restaurants at the four star Resort at Caneel Bay, and an additional 5 minutes into the excellent restaurants and shops in the charming town of Cruz Bay.
Construction: As is true in any popular destination, construction of a new home continues in Peter Bay Estates. As of April 2015, there is a new construction site starting in lower Peter Bay. We expect some construction noise and possibly periodic construction traffic interruptions that could affect the Peter Bay neighborhood. If you would like further details on the current status of this building activity, please inquire and we’ll be happy to obtain the latest information for you.
Vehicle Information A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Pool Floats: Pool floats are not guaranteed with your villa rental. If you want access to them, please bring them with you.
- Save 10% - North Shore!!
- Sept. 2 - 30, 2017
- In Season Prices
Dec. 16, 2017 – April 13, 2018
$9996/wk for 2-4 people (main hse only)* $11123/wk for 5 * $12250/wk for 6 * $13377/wk for 7
$14504/wk for 8 * $15631/wk for 9 * $16758/wk for 10 * $17885/wk for 11
Christmas/New Years (Dec 16 to Jan 6)
$19194/wk 2-11 people
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Off Season Pricing
April 15, 2017 – Dec. 15, 2017
$7399/wk for 2-4 people (main hse only)* $7749/wk for 5 * $8099/wk for 6 * $8449/wk for 7 * $8799/wk for 8
$9149/wk for 9 * $9499/wk for 10 * $9849/wk for 11
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Hotel Tax/Service Charge
12.5% Hotel tax/5% Service Charge
- Damage Deposit
(The damage deposit is refunded 30 days after departure as long as no damage has occurred during your stay)
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
Surrounded by the pristine and lovely Virgin Islands National Park, the luxury homes of Peter Bay make up St. John's most exclusive neighborhood. The development team that was responsible for designing lower Peter Bay shifted their attention to upper Peter Bay in 2000. Mermaid Falls was completed in 2003 and was designed as a showcase home to establish upper Peter Bay as a neighborhood of distinguished homes. It was a great success, and upper Peter Bay now joins lower Peter Bay as one of the Caribbean's most deluxe and desirable villa communities.
Mermaid Falls was sold in the fall of 2005 and in November, 2006 we were quite pleased to add Mermaid Falls to our Peter Bay rental portfolio. This villa has been very well maintained and remains in like new condition. It has all the elements of a superb luxury home, including;
- one of St. John's most exclusive and unspoiled villa locations,
- stunning views that sweep from St. Thomas to Jost Van Dyke, then to Tortola and include colorful Caribbean sunsets,
- an elegant design with central air conditioning and fine decor throughout,
- a large pool and a romantic hot tub,
- a flexible floor plan that will accommodate 5 couples or 1-2 families. If you use just the main house Mermaid Falls becomes a romantic luxury home for just 1-2 couples.
The guest services and maintenance for this villa have been contracted out to a St. John couple, Terry and Olivier. They're a responsive, friendly and capable team, and have an extensive knowledge of St. John, its people and its customs. You're in good hands with Terry and Olivier. Mermaid Falls achieves that fine balance of being stately and elegant without being ostentatious. Like St. John itself, this house is strikingly beautiful and impressive, but not the least bit stuffy or pretentious. It's another great Peter bay luxury villa.
- Guest Comments:
- We had a fantastic time in St John. The weather couldn't have been better. The house was fantastic. This was my 7th trip to St John. I have rented villas 5 times and stay in a hotel the other two times. Mermaid Falls was the best rental by far. It is a beautiful home, with unbelievable views. The home was well stocked with everything we needed during our stay. Both Terry and Neal were very helpful when needed. There is no doubt that I would rent this villa again upon my next visit to St John if it is still available. The house was perfect, the only possible suggestion for improvement would be an outside music system. It would have been nice to hear some music while outside but not totally necessary. > Thanks again for making our stay so great.
- We had a wonderful time! Such a beautiful home and the views are amazing! Thank you!
- We had a beautiful time in St John at Mermaid Falls!!! Everything was so nice and everything went smoothly. What a fantasy life we had for a week! Thank you!
- The word awesome can't even come close to describing Mermaid Falls. The trip was one of those once in a lifetime kind of things. This home is incredible! I could not stop taking pictures from almost every single angle imaginable!! The landscape was amazing! From the time you approached the house at the end of the driveway with the beautiful view of the blue water to the arbor at the start of the garden path approaching the pool...just breathtaking! The sitting area in front of the outdoor bar was a favorite spot for morning coffee and breakfast as well as book reading, cards, planning the day, afternoon wine or just to sit and be amazed by the beauty of the red bougainvillea against the background of gorgeous blue water. The house was well appointed with beautiful furniture and tastefully decorated throughout. We had such a great time and this home was such a big part of it that I felt like I needed to tell you. This trip will be one we will always cherish and Mermaid Falls definitely raises the bar! Thank you!
- I cannot say enough about our experience. Kris was absolutely wonderful to deal with leading up to our trip, she could not have been more helpful, professional and pleasant. When we arrived on St. John, Olivier was in constant touch with us and Neil was there to greet us and take us to Mermaid Falls, he was kind enough to bring me to pick up our car rental first. He spend a great deal of time with us going over all of the ins and outs of the villa on Saturday night so that we knew where everything was and how everything worked and even led us down to the only open grocery store! As for Mermaid Falls, I cannot say enough about how amazing our stay there was. I looked at many villas before choosing Mermaid and am sure I made the best possible choice! We were there for a family wedding, the rest of our party stayed at Coco De Mer, and although the exterior it may look a bit nicer, the views could not compare to ours and in my opinion, it was not nearly as functional. The exterior of Mermaid is set up perfectly for any weather and it did not matter to us if the sun was blaring or it was pouring rain, we never went inside except to sleep and cook. Our plan was do many things while we were on the island but honestly, we could not be torn away from Mermaid Falls for much. It was by far the most spectacular vacation any one of has ever had and I cannot wait to go back. I wouldn't even bother looking at other villas, I don't think any could come close to Mermaid Falls! Thank you so much! We had a vacation we will never forget!