- Caribbean Villas Comments:
St John is an island of mostly traditional home designs. In fact, Kalorama is the first modern/contemporary (so called California style) home that we have offered in our 20 plus years of managing villas on St. John. We were - dare we say - a bit skeptical, maybe even a bit naïve, regarding contemporary villas. So we spent a lot of staff time up at Kalorama - examining, reviewing, discussing and dissecting this very unique home. The seven Caribbean Villas staff who reviewed this home are in complete agreement – Kalorama is a definite winner. It’s chic but elegant, spacious but intimate, clean, crisp and classy. But mostly, it’s a very livable and lovable vacation home.
Kalorama’s highlights include;
- a 1100 sq/ft great room that is like no other on St. John. The north side of the great room is a beautiful 14 foot (tall) stone and ipe (hardwood) wall, but the south and west sides are Fleetwood glass walls that vanish with a gentle push. The walls are complimented by marble floors, exotic hardwoods and Doric columns. It’s big, bold and quite lovely,
- a 52 inch satellite flat screen TV/DVD and stereo with a 5-speaker surround sound system with an iPod dock, plus a wireless internet connection. We gave the sound system the full Bon Jovi sound test and we (and a few boaters in Great Cruz Bay) can tell you that it puts out an excellent quality - and level - of sound,
- every room in this villa (except the twin’s bedroom) opens to the south or west to provide lots of light, gentle breezes and beautiful views - which are three core elements of St. John living. However, every room is also fully screened, and the bedrooms all have curtains or blinds and are efficiently air conditioned,
- the pool is a big one (40 x 12) and it’s bordered by two even larger sundecks, and there’s another large sundeck on the upper level. All the sundecks get all day sun, and the location offers enough privacy for clothing optional sunbathing,
- the day, evening and sunset views are outstanding – this is definitely one of St. John’s most popular views,
- The night lighting creates a very lovely and an oh so-o romantic evening atmosphere.
This a superb house for entertaining or relaxing, and the design works equally well for families, couples or mixed groups. If you’re an admirer of Beacon Hill, Georgetown or East Side classic architecture who feels that “contemporary homes are not my style,” Kalorama will change your outlook, as it did ours. If, on the other hand, you’re a devotee of contemporary styled luxury homes - after all our years of doing business on St. John, we can finally and enthusiastically say to you – Welcome Home!
- Guest Comments:
- We loved Kalorama! It was so beautiful and wonderful! Thank you!
- We had a lovely time in St John. Kalorama is a beautiful home! Thank you!