Heaven’s Gate is a very attractive, Mediterranean styled two level home that is a modern classic. The paved private drive that leads to the villa is gated and bordered by towering stone walls and abundant flowering landscaping, much like you often see in coastal Italy or Greece. All interior and exterior floors, decks, walkways and stairs are tiled with imported and rare Jerusalem limestone. Combined with the tiled roofs, Doric columns, arched covered decks, and soft white house colors and colorful landscaping, the look is decidedly Mediterranean, and definitely beautiful.
You park on the upper level and enter into the spacious great room, which contains the living, dining and kitchen areas. The two master bedrooms and baths on the upper level are located on each side of the great room, insuring excellent privacy. The other two master bedrooms and baths are on the lower level and are accessed by exterior stairs. The lower bedrooms and baths are also located on both ends of the villa to maximize privacy. On each level, a lager covered balcony separates the two 150 sq/ft bedroom balconies, and offers an inviting place to read or contemplate how happy you are in this lovely home, on this magic island.
On the south side of the villa the pool and sundeck are bordered by beautiful tropical gardens and plantings. There is parking for 5 -6 cars off the primary entrance to the villa.
- Bedrooms: 4
- Beds: 4
- Bed Description: 3 Kings, 1 Queen
- Bathrooms: 4
- Property Location: Hurricane Hole
- Proximity: Ocean View
- Property Size: 3000+ sq. ft.
- Year Property Complete: 2010
- Beach: Maho Bay or Salt Pond
- Pool: Yes
- Hot Tub: No
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: Yes
- Damage Deposit: $500
- Air Conditioning: Yes, bedrooms only
- Children: Welcome
- Distance To Town: Coral Bay-5 minutes; Beaches - 10 -15 minute drive; Cruz Bay is a 20 – 30 minute drive.
- Living Dining: The great room, which contains the living, dining and kitchen areas is 800 square feet with a 17 foot beamed cathedral ceiling. The living and dining areas are furnished with elegant plantation era, antique mahogany furniture that contrasts beautifully with the French doors and the white Jerusalem tile, white walls, and dark cathedral ceiling. A stunning piece of stained glass, tasteful wall hangings and Valance lighting gives the great room a special ambiance, and a 42” flat screen TV/DVD/CD/stereo plays through a 5-speaker Sony surround sound system. A satellite dish provides more than 100 channels for your favorite TV programs, and high speed wireless is available throughout the house. The formal (interior) mahogany dining table seats eight, there is also a table for eight on the deck and there is seating in the round on the entrance balcony.
- Kitchen: In keeping with the rest of the villa, this kitchen is elegant and well equipped with mahogany cabinets and granite counter tops, a curved mahogany and granite bar with 4 mahogany bar chairs, stainless steel appliances, including a side by side refrigerator and freeze, a 4 burner gas stove and oven, double sink, microwave, dishwasher, a blender, toaster and a coffeemaker with a coffee grinder. All dishes, dinnerware, pots and pans, cooking utensils and dining linens for a party of 8 are provided.
- Bedroom Details: All the bedrooms have air conditioning, flat screen TV/DVD, excellent privacy, 800 thread Egyptian cotton sheets, and a granite and mahogany bath, with 3 baths having exterior stone showers. They are all furnished with plantation era bedroom sets with 4-poster mahogany beds (3 kings, 1queen) and pillow views of the Caribbean Sea below you. All the bedrooms open to a private covered balcony and each level shares a larger balcony, for a total of six balconies.
Heaven’s Gate occupies an exclusive, very unique location on the crest of a hill overlooking Hurricane Hole and the southeastern coast of St. John. Hurricane Hole is one of St John’s most sheltered harbors and the harbor and the hillsides are part of the National Park. The uniqueness of this villa location is due to its proximity to the National Park, and the skill of the owners in purchasing a large piece of land, which at the time was accessible only on foot and with great difficulties. This land that was so remote now awaits your own discovery as a priceless vacation experience, for the privacy, tranquility and sheer natural beauty of this location is some of the best we offer on St. John – it’s simply outstanding. Your view sweeps for more than 180 degrees and looks down into Hurricane Hole, Round Bay and the south shore of the National Park. Pieces of Tortola, Virgin Gorda and other British Virgin Islands are also visible in the distance.
The pool and large pool deck face east and south and are bathed in sunshine and warm trade winds from sunrise to late afternoon. This is definitely a villa for sun lovers or those who crave a beautiful, unspoiled harbor view.
It’s less than a 5-minute drive to the restaurants, bars, groceries, gas and boat rentals in Coral Bay, and it’s a 10 -15 minute drive to the north shore National Park beaches, or the Park beaches at Salt Pond or Lameshure. Cruz Bay is a 20 – 30 minute drive, depending on whether you take the incredibly scenic north shore road, or the very scenic centerline road.You have good snorkeling below you in Hurricane Hole, or you can take a hike on a National Park hiking trail over to Leinster Bay for excellent snorkeling.
Vehicle Information A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Pool Floats: Pool floats are not guaranteed with your villa rental. If you want access to them, please bring them with you.
- In Season Prices
Dec. 16, 2017 – April 13, 2018
$4900/wk for 2 people (1 bdrm) * $5400/wk 3-4 (2 bdrm) * $5900/wk 5-6 (3 bdrm) $6400/wk 7-8
Christmas/New Years (Dec 16 to Jan 6)
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Off Season Pricing
April 15, 2017 – Dec. 15, 2017
$3129/wk for 2 people (1 bdrm)* $3724/wk 3-4 (2 bdrm) * $4375/wk 5-6 (3 bdrm) * $5026/wk 7-8
Thanksgiving $7080/wk 2-8
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Hotel Tax/Service Charge
12.5% Hotel tax
- Damage Deposit
- There is a $50 non-refundable booking fee to reserve this property
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
After a lengthy and very expensive build out, Heaven’s Gate was completed and began renting in January of 2010.
We’ve been telling our guests for 20+ years that there are some exquisite diamonds (villas) hidden among the hills and harbors of St. John, and it’s our job to find them. We’ve got one here. This diamond caught us quite by surprise, but what a lovely surprise it is, for this is truly a Peter Bay style luxury home, but in a much more private, serene and undeveloped setting than Peter Bay offers. And make no mistake about it; we love Peter Bay – both for its location and its villas.
Two words sum up this location – unique and beautiful, and here the term “unique” really means one of a kind, for Heaven’s Gate is the only villa in this peaceful hilltop setting. It’s worth repeating what we said in the Location paragraph, “the privacy, tranquility and sheer natural beauty of this location is some of the best we offer on St. John – it’s simply outstanding.” This is a spot where the only sounds you hear are songbirds, the wind rustling through the palms, and your favorite music played through the poolside speakers. We think that you’ll agree…“there is magic here” In addition to its exceptional location, many other features make Heaven’s Gate an outstanding vacation home, such as:
The owners of Heaven’s Gate live on St. John (in another home) and lavish constant attention on Heaven's Gate (but not when it’s occupied – they respect your privacy). They are completely committed to maintaining this showpiece home in excellent condition.
For full body tanners this is heaven, the pool and sundeck get full sun all day and the visual privacy is excellent, or you can relax in the shade on one of six private covered balconies.
There is a deeded right of way to the Caribbean, so you can swim and snorkel with the turtles – who you can see from your deck on an almost daily basis - in the always calm, 82 degree, sparkling clear waters of Hurricane Hole.
A half mile down the road is the trailhead for the National Park hiking trail to Leinster Bay, where you will be rewarded with some great swimming and snorkeling in calm, turquoise waters.
Colorful tropical landscaping and superb gardens surround the estate, and are lovingly cared for by one of (if not the) most talented landscapers on St. John. For a very interesting surprise, start up a conversation with the boss (lady) of the landscapers.
All bedrooms have 4 poster mahogany beds with 800 thread Egyptian cotton sheets, granite, limestone and mahogany baths, A/C, TV/DVDs, and a private balcony.
The great room contains lovely plantation era mahogany furniture plus a 42” TV/DVD and stereo with 5-speaker surround sound and speakers on the pool deck, plus high speed wireless.
For elderly or handicapped persons, the parking area, pool and sundeck and upper level of the villa are on one level,
There is a private drive with a gated entrance and security cameras to protect your privacy.
Heaven's Gate is recommended for families, couples and small business groups. With its large lot, lack of neighbors and beautiful setting, this is one of our top choices for a wedding or special function.
- Guest Comments:
- Heaven's Gate was absolutely fabulous! We thoroughly enjoyed the villa! You were right about not wanting to leave the villa! We did venture out for the beaches, boating and food but spent plenty of time just enjoying the pool and house! The location in Coral Bay could not have been more perfect!
- We had another wonderful trip to St John and a wonderful stay at Heaven's Gate! The home is beautiful! Thank you!
- Apologies for the late response to your note, but to confirm, we had a wonderful time during our stay at Heaven's Gate on St. John! The accommodations were terrific, and the local staff was helpful, courteous and friendly, which added to our enjoyment. Thanks again for your help in ensuring that we had a terrific time during our vacation. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you and your team again in the future.