Francis Bay Estates consists of three handsome stone buildings, each with two levels. The buildings are connected by covered walkways and brick decks and each building overlooks the pool and the spacious sundeck. You park above the buildings, walk through a stone gateway with copper doors and then descend brick stairs to the upper level. On your left screened mahogany doors open to the spacious great room (1000 sq/ft), in the main house which contains the living, dining and kitchen and pantry areas. Off the great room is a 500 sq/ft covered deck that overlooks the pool and the unspoiled views. The buildings opposite the main house contains four nearly equal 325 sq/ft bedrooms and baths, all with king beds, with two on the upper level and two on the lower level. The fifth bedroom, also 325 sq/ft and with twin beds, is under the great room and opens to the pool deck. Exterior brick stairs lead from the upper level to the bedrooms and pool on the lower level. The 35 foot pool is bounded on 3 sides by a spacious (3500 sq/ft) antique brick sun deck, complete with BBQ grill and a dining table. Colorful landscaping surrounds the pool, sun deck and the entire villa, and the most spectacular landscaping (the National Park) extends for miles around you.
- Bedrooms: 5
- Beds: 5
- Bed Description: 4 Kings, 1 set of Twins
- Bathrooms: 5.5
- Property Location: Francis Bay
- Proximity: Waterfront
- Property Size: 6000+ sq/ft.
- Year Property Complete: 2005
- Beach: Francis Bay and Maho
- Pool: Yes
- Pool Dimensions: 35 x 12 x 5 ft deep
- Hot Tub: No
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: No
- Damage Deposit: $50 Non-Refundable Security Deposit Waiver
- Children: Welcome
- Distance To Town: Francis Bay Estates is about a 15 – 20 minute drive into/from Cruz Bay and even closer to Coral Bay.
- Living Dining: The Great Room is a beautiful example of a classic plantation style great room, with mahogany floors, windows and antiques, and a vaulted ceiling with valence lighting. Six sets of 8 foot tall, fully screened mahogany doors open to the wrap around covered deck and the views. Close the doors to the armoire and your living room looks like you’ve returned to a beautiful 19 century plantation house. Open the armoire doors and turn on the satellite TV/DVD, or the AM/FM/CD or plug in your I Pod and enjoy the surround sound system (10 Bose speakers), and you’ll quickly return to the 21st century. The interior dining area has a mahogany table that seats 10. There is also a teak table and chair set that seats 10 on the pool deck, a few steps from the gas grill.
- Kitchen: The large and lovely, granite and mahogany Kitchen is definitely 21st century. It is very well equipped and includes a s/s refrigerator/freezer, s/s dishwasher, a 5-burner cook top stove in the center island, 2 s/s ovens, a walk in pantry, microwave, toaster, blender, coffee maker, and abundant cookware and dinnerware.
- Bedroom Details: The five air conditioned bedrooms are the same size (350 sq/ft) and very similar in décor. Four of the bedrooms have king sleigh beds, while the 5th bedroom has a set of twins. All have fine Italian bed linens for that luxurious feeling. The bedroom doors are mahogany sliding pocket doors with interior wooden shutters. Each bedroom has an attached tiled bath with double sinks and a stone shower.
On an island known for its fabulous villa locations, Francis Bay Estate’s location is quite unique and exceptional. This villa sits a short distance from the beautiful beach at Francis Bay. It is surrounded by National Park lands and has no abutting neighbors. Except for one other home visible in the distance, your view remains natural and unspoiled. Even by St. John’s high standards, the tranquility, peacefulness and privacy of this setting are quite exceptional.
It’s an easy 5 – 10 minute walk down a gentle slope to the beautiful white sands at Francis Bay Beach. From the beach you can snorkel or swim (the preferred route) over to the calm turquoise waters and white sands of Maho Bay, or it’s a short drive.
The views from your villa stretch from Mary’s Point on St. John west to the islands of St. Thomas, and the Hans Lollicks, and then to Lovango, Congo and Thatch Cays. Fifteen miles to the west, 1500 foot Crown Mountain on St Thomas rises in the distance. The west facing orientation of this home provides all day sun on your totally private pool and sundeck. The sunsets are usually spectacular and the distant lights of St. Thomas at night seem a world removed.
The north shore drive to your villa weaves past some of the worlds most beautiful beaches. Depending on how often you slow down to enjoy this splendid scenery, it’s usually a 15 – 20 minute drive into/from Cruz Bay and even closer to Coral Bay.
– All payments are non-refundable.
– This villa has a $50 non-refundable security deposit waiver which covers up to the first $500 in accidental damage. Damage must be reported to the local office while you are on island, otherwise it will not be covered.
– There is a $50 check-in fee for all arrivals on 9pm to midnight boat.
Vehicle Information: A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
PHONE SERVICE/CELL PHONES: Local phone service is interrupted regularly and in spite of our efforts to reinstate service it can some times take weeks. AT&T is the only cell service we find operates efficiently on the island. If you do not have AT&T we strongly suggest you bring a pay as you go AT&T cell phone with you as we do not provide cell phones should the local phone service be interrupted.
CELL PHONE USAGE FROM HOMES LOCATED ALONG THE NORTH SHORE: If you use your cell phone on the north side of the island there is a good chance you will pick up the cell tower on Tortola (British Virgin Islands). If this happens you will be charged for an international call on your cell phone plan.
Internet Service: The internet service is subject to frequent interruption. We cannot guarantee internet quality or speed. Renters might find it convenient to travel with a cellular carrier MiFi – a couple of examples are AT&T and Virgin Mobile. There will be no refunds due to the internet not working.
Pool Floats: Pool floats are not guaranteed with your villa rental. If you want access to them, please bring them with you.
- In Season Prices
Dec. 17, 2017 – Apr. 15, 2018
Christmas/New Years (Dec 17 to Jan 4, 2019)
- Off Season Pricing
April 16, 2018 – Dec. 16, 2018
$6700/wk for 2-6 people * $7900/wk 7-10
Thanksgiving $8400/wk 2-10
- Hotel Tax/Service Charge
12.5% Hotel tax
- Damage Deposit
$50 non-refundable damage waiver. Covers up to the 1st $500 in accidental damage. The damage must be reported while on island for it to be covered.
- All payments for this villa are non-refundable
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
From a distance, this very handsome stone and antique brick plantation style home looks like it might have been built in the 19th century, when this land was used to grow the sugar cane that became the rum that (along with a few pirates) made these islands infamous. However, this classic estate home was completed in 2005 and underneath its stone exterior is a thoroughly modern, elegant and very tasteful interior.
This is undeniably a spacious, luxurious and beautifully furnished home, but the feature that really sets this house apart is its location. Unlike other luxury villas, the Francis Bay Estate house does not have villas on adjacent lots or anywhere in your view, with the exception of one house on St. John and 15 miles away on St. Thomas. At night, and even at times during the day, you might get the feeling that you are alone on an island in 1950, or even 1850. This is privacy in one of its purest forms on St. John, for the National Park landscape that surrounds you remains pristine and undisturbed.
It looks and feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, but this (sort of) beach house is an easy walk to Francis Bay beach, and also close to the beach at Maho Bay. For families with beach loving kids, couples or wedding parties, this is a unique choice in island homes.
A bold, beautiful and thoroughly elegant home, and one of the most private, naturalist settings in the Virgin Islands qualifies the Francis Bay Estate house as one of St Johns Ultra Luxury Villas. If you desire a more modest home at a more modest price, one of Francis Bays unseen neighbors is the 4-bedroom villa Serenity.
- Guest Comments:
- We loved Francis Bay! The villa was in great condition and we will tell all our friends about this lovely home!
- Our trip was excellent! House was great! We are looking forward to returning!