“On a Clear Day …” is designed as an eco-friendly villa built for fun, families, flexibility, nature, health, and, finally and most importantly, life renewal. Your stay will rest the soul, invigorate the body, and restore the spirit.
As you enter the villa through massive double-doors, you will be engulfed by a picturesque all-encompassing view of Francis Bay. Walking further through 14 foot opening sliders will transport you to an expansive pool patio that, again, provides tremendous views of the Bay from every corner and lounge chair.
The villa’s rooms are all located within one structure for family and friendly living, but, through quality construction and design, privacy and quiet are maintained. For the athletically inclined, an exercise room is offered, and the saltwater, low chemical pool incorporates in its design a 54 foot long lap lane. After 8 wide steps up to a ramp leading to the front door and 5 short steps down from the entryway, the entire first floor remains flat, especially helpful for physically challenged guests. This includes the Great Room, kitchen, dining areas, porch, one bedroom, an exercise room, and the outdoor deck and pool. For sun worshippers, there is plenty of room poolside for fantastic tanning. But for those desiring various degrees of sun protection, the villa’s deck also offers a completely covered but still open area along with a portion topped by trellis. And for nighttime outdoor lounging and eating free of insects, a screened-in porch with sliders abuts the dining room.
For those interested in learning more about Green Energy Conservation, On a Clear Day… is one of only two rental villas on the island to earn Island Green Living Association’s 5 Star Tropical Green Building Certification. The house utilizes low solar gain, low-E glass throughout together with LED and CFL lighting, Energy Star Appliances, fans, and TVs, low flow Moen WaterSense plumbing fixtures, Toto dual flush toilets, individually controlled Mitsubishi high SEER-rated ductless air-conditioning units, solar heated domestic hot water, and a solar reflective Kynar painted metal roof sitting over a thermal reflective blanket and fiberboard insulation. The entire villa is powered by two large ground-mounted photovoltaic arrays situated on land just below the structure . Temporary loss of electricity to the villa due to St. John utility power outage is remedied by a large generator on premises. Continuing in the Green vein, On a Clear Day… utilizes organic-based fertilizer for its landscaping and the mildest forms of insecticide for pest control.
- Bedrooms: 4
- Beds: 5
- Bed Description: 3 Kings, 2 Twins convert to King
- Bathrooms: 4.5
- Property Location: Francis Bay
- Proximity: Waterfront
- Property Size: 4478 sq. ft.
- Year Property Complete: 2012
- Beach: Francis Bay Beach
- Pool: Yes
- Pool Dimensions: 20 X 12 plus 54 x 7 lap lane (saltwater, low chemical pool)
- Hot Tub: No
- Air Conditioning: Yes, bedrooms only
- Wifi: Yes
- Housekeeping: No
- Ipod Connectivity: Yes
- Damage Deposit: $1,000 Prepaid
- Children: Welcome
- Distance To Town: Cruz Bay is a 20-25 minute drive, and Coral Bay is 10-15 minutes away.
- Living Dining: The 20 foot wide, two-story Great Room is furnished in light, Caribbean modern rattan/bamboo furniture and bestows guests panoramic views of the pool, Francis Bay, and St. Thomas from every spot. A 60 inch flat screen LED TV with Dish Satellite programming is available for family viewing and is coupled to a Bose Surround Sound System with iPod/iPhone dock and Blu-ray Disc player. WiFi is available throughout the house. Connected to the Great Room via a large archway is the dining area. The table comfortably sits 8 with an option for 10. If you wish to eat outside, simply pass through sliders into the adjoining screened-in, optionally-opened porch with a table for 8.
- Kitchen: A fully-equipped kitchen includes an ultra quiet dishwasher, convection oven/stove with ventilation hood, microwave, refrigeration/freezer, and a built-in wine cooler, all in stainless steel. Contiguous with the kitchen on one side is counter seating for four and on the other side a guest laundry with washer and dryer. Cabinet space, hand built from environment-friendly bamboo, is abundant. Countertops are Brazilian granite. A Weber gas grill for outside cooking is located on the pool patio.
- Bedroom Details: Three large bedrooms (308 sq ft each) and a master bedroom (480 sq ft) comprise the sleeping space. Each room is air-conditioned by a quiet individually controlled cooling unit, has a 40 inch LED TV with Dish Satellite receiver, and possesses its own private bathroom with 2 sinks and tumbled marble shower. All bedrooms open onto private decks with breathtaking views. Three of the bedrooms (including the master) have king size beds while the fourth has two twins. The twins, however, can easily be joined to create king size sleeping if needed. Also available upon request are two optional inflatable mattresses, which can be used for both kids and/or adults. Two of the second floor bedrooms emanate from a single hallway. This entire space can be conveniently sectioned off using an existing sliding pocket door to create a secure sleeping area for parents with young children.
- Exercise Room: The villa provides a fully air-conditioned exercise room consisting of a Sole elliptical machine, Bowflex Home Gym, and Concept II rowing ergometer. A 32 inch LCD TV with Dish Satellite programming and full stereo DVD/CD system are furnished for entertainment while you exercise, and the room’s slider leads to an outdoor deck for cool down and relaxation post work-out.
“On a Clear Day …” lies nestled deep within the confines of the Virgin Island National Park on the North Shore of St. John. This new villa (construction completed 2012) is perched 170 feet above sea level and offers the best of all worlds spanning the peacefulness and privacy of the Park’s surroundings to a “to die for” view of Francis Bay to easy beach access. Only a 5-10 minute walk or a 1-2 minute drive away, the white sand and crystal clear water of Francis Bay with its swimming, snorkeling, and sun constantly beckon. Guests are also just a quick stroll to one of the best bird sanctuaries on the Island at the Francis Bay Salt Pond. With the villa’s westward orientation, sunsets are spectacular, and nighttime heralds the twinkling lights of St. Thomas and the yachts moored below in the Bay, all, seemingly, a silent world away.
The 25 minute drive from Cruz Bay to the villa along St. John’s famous North Shore takes in some of the most beautiful beaches in the world including Caneel, Trunk, Cinnamon, and Maho Bays. Fabulous views abound far above the sea from scenic breakouts along the way. Coral Bay is a 12 minute car ride.
Although both secluded and remote, the rental is only 7 minutes from Cinnamon Bay Campground. There, you can find open air gazebo dining, a convenience store for food and supplies, and a beach shop providing watersport equipment rentals including kayaks, sailboards, and snorkel gear.
Along with the above aquatics, hiking trails both around the villa and throughout the island abound, and the ruins of historic Annaberg Sugar Plantation are in walking distance. Donkeys, deer, and iguanas will never be far away.
Vehicle Information A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle is needed for travel on St John
Rates, Printing Errors, Changes and Omissions: Caribbean Villas is not responsible for printing errors and inadvertent omissions. All rates and villa details are subject to change without prior notice.
CELL PHONE SERVICE: Cell phone service on St. John may be spotty with certain carriers. Additionally, North Shore locations may pick up cell towers on Tortola (The British Virgin Islands). If this occurs, expensive roaming charges could potentially be applied to your bill and/or you may be charged international rates. PLEASE FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH YOUR PERSONAL CELL PHONE PLAN BEFORE TRAVELING TO THE ISLAND. This villa is equipped with Wilson Cellular Signal Booster Technology, which is positioned towards St. Thomas. The system serves to stabilize and strengthen incoming and outgoing cellular phone and Internet signals at the house, and, in most cases, your communications will be via cell towers on St. Thomas and not Tortola. St. Thomas antennas are AT&T dominated. Thus, cell phone users on St. John find AT&T the company of choice for coverage, efficiency, and, at times, to avoid roaming charges. You may wish to consider a pay-as-you-go AT&T phone for your vacation if you use another carrier. Again, know your cell phone plan. Lastly, for communicating with friends and relatives off island from the villa, always consider your computer’s video Skype mode via the house’s WiFi system. In most cases, this will be free.
LOCAL PHONE SERVICE: Local phone service is available at this villa through the island’s only telephone company. As with many services on St. John, it can occasionally be interrupted. We will do our best to remedy the situation should this happen. Again, you may wish to consider a pay-as-you-go AT&T cell phone, since we do not provide cell phones should local phone service be compromised.
INTERNET SERVICE: Internet on St. John has traditionally been poor and via the Island’s single telephone company using DSL connections. On a Clear Day … has chosen to employ something completely different–an enhanced optical wireless broadband type technology supplied by Surge Broadband. The fiber optic network is based in St. Thomas and signaled to St. John using wireless SkyFiber. The system’s speed is 24Mbps/5Mbps, far faster than the DSL offered in most other rental houses on the Island. Should primary Surge Broadband connectivity be lost, villa Internet fails over to a backup AT&T cellular connection. Although nothing is perfect in the Caribbean, this format comes close and is the fastest, most reliable Internet setup one will find on the Island. A suggested backup system for guests to be used on other parts of St. John and in St. Thomas is mobile cellular Internet MiFi via AT&T or Virgin Mobile.
We are sorry that there can be no refunds for Internet and/or telephone failure.
- In Season Prices
Dec. 16, 2017 – April 13, 2018
$8250/wk for 2-4 people * $10250/wk 5-6 * $12250/wk 7-8
Christmas/New Years (Dec 16 to Jan 6)
$14,700/wk 2-8 people
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Off Season Pricing
April 15, 2017 – Dec. 15, 2017
$6750/wk for 2-4 people * $7250/wk 5-6 * $7750/wk 7-8
Rates are based on 2 people per bedroom
- Hotel Tax/Service Charge
12.5% Hotel tax/5% Service Charge
- Damage Deposit
(The damage deposit is refunded to you 30 days after departure as long as no damage occurs during your stay)
Caribbean Villa Comments
- Caribbean Villas Comments:
Caribbean Villas’ Comments. This beautiful, new villa is a contender for St John’s “most lovely and well-preserved location” award, and the house is ideally designed to fit in this Zen-like setting. Here are just a few highlights;
The Villa. New in 2012, spacious, high end, very comfortable and well equipped, private, lovely, and thoughtfully built for stress free vacations.
Location. This has to be one of the most unspoiled, naturalist settings in the Virgin Islands. You’re a short distance from the beautiful beaches at Francis Bay and surrounded by the National Park with no abutting neighbors. You’re also close to the scenic beach at Maho Bay, National Park hiking trails, and the ruins at Annaberg Plantation. This is a special place where the tranquility, peacefulness and privacy are exceptional.
Views and Sunsets. The west facing orientation provides all day sun on your totally private pool and sundeck. You overlook sailboats floating on Francis Bay in the foreground, sunsets in the early evening and the distant twinkling lights of St. Thomas at night. Except for one other home visible in the distance, your view remains pristine and unspoiled.
Atmosphere. The atmosphere is, in two words - ultra peaceful and relaxing. You might think you’re on a Caribbean island in 1950, or even 1850, but you’re actually ensconced in a modern luxury home with all the amenities. This is tranquility in one of its purest forms.
Spa?This villa could be a small, luxury fitness spa, with its 57 foot long lap pool and big sundeck, hiking trails and swimming and snorkeling nearby, and one of the island’s best fitness rooms, with a/c, TV, music and high quality machines and equipment. But it’s not a spa; it’s your vacation home.
If On a Clear Day is unavailable, there is one other elegant 5-bedroom home in Francis Bay, Francis Bay Estates. If you desire a more modest 4-bedroom home at a more modest price, look at Villa Serenity, or for a romantic and affordable 1-bedroom, you’ll love the Honeymoon Cottage.
For a first person account of the good life at On a Clear Day, speak to Kris or Dolores in our office, in Nov, 2012, the owner was kind enough to suggest that they spend some time at his St John home, so they know this villa very well.